140 Gr Hornady Interlocks for 6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 Gr Hornady Interlocks for 6.5 Grendel

This is my first post on this forum, glad to be here among those who have similar interests.

Here is what I am hoping to try. I would like to put together a 140 grain load for my grendel shooting the Hornady Interlock bullet. It is in an AR-15 platform, so it will need to be magazine friendly. I don't see any load data for that particular bullet, but I do see some for other 140 grainers. My suspicion is that due to its long bullet shape, it may be tough to load to the correct COL to make it magazine compliant. Has anyone loaded this particular bullet successfully?
  • longdayjake

I am also interested in what people have to say about the interlock.

Comment

Hey there longdayjake, I took your info from THR and decided to branch out. Hopefully we can get something figured out on this! If not, I may just have to step it down to 129 or 123's.

Comment

• RangerRick

The COL won't be too bad because those bullets are completely lead filled. A lot of the lighter bullets are long to improve the BC and have space. Also, the powder load is going to be smaller than 100's and 123's, so you will have more room in the case.

The big problem is going to be relatively low velocities. The 140's are just a little outside the optimum envelope for the cartridge. That said, there were several guys on the old forum that loved them.

The Alexander Arms reloading data says you will get about 2220-2240 fps out of a 140 in a 24 inch barrel.

Comment

I realize this is the top end of bullet weights for this round. From the info given, I am thinking if I start with a load for a comparable 140 gr bullet, step it down a bit, load it to magazine length and work from there, I should be alright.

Comment

• longdayjake

You should be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I will take them for a test drive and report back. Hopefully all goes smooth.

Comment

Working...
              X