X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RookieYoter

Reloading Help!!!

Ok, Here is my problem.

I am new to reloading the Grendel. I did my research and got good stuff. Lapua brass, I started with 130 Gr. Berger VLD's and now I am trying 100 Nosler BT. Here is what is happening to me.

When I go to seat the bullet the shell holder doesn't contact the die, there is a 1/8 inch gap plus you can feel it(kind of bottom out) If you continue to push down on the handle of the press I completely crush the shoulder of the round. It totally removes the shoulder.... Now I have been reloading for years( mostly bolt action rifles, in various calibers) my gear is all good.(I hope) I have a Lee press, Lee dies( the Grendel came from AA) All the cases are trimmed to the proper length. Plus they are new, not goten into using the fired brass yet. I have about 20 rounds reloaded and all of them do not touch. I have taken the dies out, cleaned them and reset them and it keeps doing it. Please help. Any advise is appricated.
    Thanks

back the die out some. sounds like there is some contact somewhere in there. so back it out a turn or 2 and just screw the seating die down till you get the right length on the bullet.

Comment

Size a piece of brass, remove the lube. With no die in the press, Place this sized brass in the shell holder, raise the ram, screw the seating die into the press until you feel it contact the sized case. Back the die out of the press one full turn an lock it down. Now adjust your OAL with the seating stem.

Comment

Originally posted by mseric View Post
        Size a piece of brass, remove the lube. With no die in the press, Place this sized brass in the shell holder, raise the ram, screw the seating die into the press until you feel it contact the sized case. Back the die out of the press one full turn an lock it down. Now adjust your OAL with the seating stem.

thanks buddy, i was thinking that but it was too early for my brain to work and type all that out. lol

Comment

Get rid of the Lee seating die and get a Forster. I had the same problem with the Lee dies in 223, with everything set right, would still crush a shoulder every so often. Got better dies and the problems went away.

Comment

I had the exact same problem in my 308. I decided to just back the die out, but I did find that it was a sizing die issue. When I would full length size my brass, it would not consistantly size it, and it would make contact with the seating die, and buckle the shoulder. No matter how low I made my seating die, it would do it. I was told to make sure to use the same brand of shell holder as dies, which I was not. If you don't then you can shave a couple thousands off of the shell holder to give you a little more room on the upstroke. However, backing the seating die has worked for me so far, but I have learned to buy everything with the same name to help prevent this (I'm not saying anything bad about Lee, but I'm making the transition from all my Lee dies to Hornady...).

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

R-yoter-,as brick stated- get the forster micrometer seater die, it's awesome. Use the lee seater die for a sinker- while fishing, or attach it to the boat anchor for extra lake bottom grippage.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

FWIW, i love redding and rcbs dies, i tend to stick to those for some reason. i guess i like the,.

Comment

personally get rid of the Lee dies get Forester or Redding.

Comment

Once you have sized brass in the shell holder, WITHOUT your seating die in the press, cam up all the way until the ram will not go any higher.

Then screw your seating die into the press, as mentioned, until it meets the case. Back out a bit, and play with the seating stem for the right seating depth.

The Forster micrometer seating die is one of the best for this, and you can easily change seating depths without tools, and record your COALs for different loads and depths, dial to them, and start seating without having to go through the process of adjusting the die with two wrenches.

Comment

What everyone is forgetting is that the seating die has a built in roll crimp which is the problem causing the crushed shoulders. As stated above put a piece of sized brass in shellholder and run it all the way up then screw die in till it touches brass then back out 1/2 to 1 full turn. If you want to crimp your bullets in with a roll crimp you have to use bullets with a crimping groove and must crimp in the groove. If you want to crimp your bullets and not mess with or use bullets with a groove the Lee factory crimp die will work for this and you can adjust to get as much or as little crimp as you want. Lee may not be the best dies out there by a long shot but they will get the job done.

Comment

• RookieYoter

Cool! Thanks fella's
                        That's what I did do. I backed off the die a turn and locked it down for now. I have never had trouble with any Lee product before. I know alot of people don't like them, but I have had no issues with them until now. In the future I may start to swap out my Lee stuff but it's too much money right now just to jump ship. I will try to work with this. It just doesn't feel right doing it this way. Thanks for the addvice!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X