lapua brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lapua brass

Hi I am new in reloading and I got a new lapua brass from Alexander arms.
    my questions are

1. do i need to clean it (tumbler it in media)
    2. do i need to deburred/Chamfered it?
    3. do i need to re-size it, in midwayusa info says

"new, unprimed brass should always be resized before loading. This brass has undergone factory annealing which extends brass life, as a result of the annealing process the neck portion of the brass may be discolored until the case is cleaned. "

or please give a link for info,I try to search in the forum but cannot find any info

thanks in advanced
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Lapua brass is on the small side of the requirements for Grendel brass, so resizing is not necessary, nor is cleaning. Because it bangs around in shipment, the casemouths might be dinged, so I run a sizer ball through before loading. I also chamfer and debur, but I know lots of guys who don't and have no problems.

So...no tumbling necessary, no resizing necessary, chamfer and debur if you want. Run a sizer ball through simply to round out the casemouths.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

same as above for me
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Yep. Same here.

Comment

thank you guys I will do the same

Comment

I just load em' up and they work 100%. Good neck tension already, annealed, the most consistent brass you can buy on the market.

Comment

I went ahead & sized all 200 of mine but it was probably not necessary. I felt a little resistance on a few when sizing, probably from slight deformity of the neck due to rough handling during shipment. I also checked them all for length. There were a few that actually hit my cutter. I found it easier to just toss them on my trimmer & make a turn than to mic them. I chamferred & also primer pocket squared along with deburring flash hole. This was all "just in case". Deburring the flash holes resulted in quite a lot of little brass shavings or dust as did of course the chamferring process. None of the rest seemed to matter much. Probably would have been just as good a use of my time to be out practicing my shooting as most of these efforts but it was my first time to ever have "new" rifle brass.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

65man- their brass is great, yet always-try an empty new piece in your chamber first, just to make sure it functions fine,. Which upper do you have ? I only resize the new Horn. brass, deburr-etc.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

For the record, this is not the case with Hornady brass, at least not in my rifle. Had to size it all.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• RangerRick

I size it just to get the same neck tension I get with reloads.

RR

Comment

Working...
                    X