Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas Sheepdawg

Range Report chronoghraphed Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel 120 Grain MPT

Okay, so I took a few minutes to Chronograph my 6.5 Grendel while I was getting on paper at 50 Yards. What's important to me right now are the velocities and the consistency of this Serbian made ammunition.
    Here are the results.
    6.5 Grendel 24" Alexander Arms Barrel.
    Ammunition
    Wolf Gold
    6.5 Grendel 120 Grain MPT

Range 50 yards.
    Out of 20 rounds, I chronied 12. ( I was so into shooting, I forgot to look at the Chrony F1) :roll:
    FPS
    2632.666 FPS AVG
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM.

good info, it seems that mid 2600's are consistant with a 24" tube and 120's and 123's.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

I sure wished I knew what the BC and advertised velocity was on these bullets. Looking at reloading data, these velocities are at the top end of the 120s. Maybe Mr. Alexander would know. All I can say for now is I'm going to order more. This round will likely be my all purpose coyote, hog round.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Texas Sheepdawg View Post
        I sure wished I knew what the BC and advertised velocity was on these bullets.
        2615 fps

Comment

How were the groups? I had some wolf soft point come with my upper & the two didn't get along at all. Groups at 100 were like 6" or so with a very shotgun type of pattern. I've heard of other folks guns loving the wolf. ????

MLM

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

This was only at 50 yards. I had my XM 15 carbine lower with collapsable stock under it. I don't normally shoot well when I use that lower. I was more interested in velocities And wasn't trying so I don't think it's fair to post data when it was me who wasn't trying. Once I get my Noonan stock installed on the Grendels Lower, I will finish sighting it in and will be very disciplined in shot placement.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

FYI groups were about 1.5" . I was more concerned about keeping the bullets centered in the Chrony and not so much on target.

Comment

• jwilson1985

lol ya a crono costs alot more then a target

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Thanx, Stanc. Didn't even know they had a web site. Gonna have to read more there. It looks like a pretty good site!

Comment

• RangerRick

Okay, so I took a few minutes to Chronograph my 6.5 Grendel while I was getting on paper at 50 Yards. What's important to me right now are the velocities and the consistency of this Serbian made ammunition.
                    Here are the results.
                    6.5 Grendel 24" Alexander Arms Barrel.
                    Ammunition
                    Wolf Gold
                    6.5 Grendel 120 Grain MPT
                    Range 50 yards.
                    Out of 20 rounds, I chronied 12. ( I was so into shooting, I forgot to look at the Chrony F1) :roll:
                    FPS
                    2632.666 FPS AVG
                    That's a standard deviation of 12.7. Not bad for factory ammo.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by mlmiller1 View Post
                      How were the groups? I had some wolf soft point come with my upper & the two didn't get along at all. Groups at 100 were like 6" or so with a very shotgun type of pattern. I've heard of other folks guns loving the wolf. ????

MLM
                      The cheaper Wolf 123 grain soft points are crap. It is the Wolf 120 grain MPTs that many people like. The are made in different factories.

Comment

Oh, yeah I heard something about that. I'm setup reloading now & for what I'm doing, the loads are gonna be the best bet. If I ever get a chance to hog hunt or something where tiny groups are not required, I may venture into trying the wolf.
                        I sold a friend my wolf stuff, after telling him how it worked in my gun. Haven't heard yet how they worked in his rifle.

Comment

I sure wished I knew what the BC and advertised velocity was on these bullets. Looking at reloading data, these velocities are at the top end of the 120s. Maybe Mr. Alexander would know. All I can say for now is I'm going to order more. This round will likely be my all purpose coyote, hog round.

The bc on these are between .380 and .430. The BC is pretty close to that of the 120 smk.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Thanx guys for the input! I am really itching for my stock to arrive.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

I ordered a case of the Wolf 120 MPT from AA today. Until I get a handload worked up, this stuff is going to be the ammo of choice for me. My handloads are also going to be 120 grains so I'm hoping very little change in trajectory at around 100Yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X