• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Anyone know of 123g AMAX's in stock???

Looks like all the usual suspects are out of stock of the 123g amax bullets.

Any suggestions of a source for these in stock?
  • leopard6.5

I checked just now and midwayusa.com is showing it in stock.

"Hornady Custom Ammunition 6.5 Grendel 123 Grain A-Max Boat Tail Box of 20
    Product #: 787955
    4.5 stars$20.99 $18.79 Save $2.20"

Good Luck

Lee

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I think he is looking for bullets, not loaded ammo.

Comment

• pinzgauer
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Yep, I should have been clearer, just looking for the boxed projectiles. (Hornady part number 26171)

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
          Looks like all the usual suspects are out of stock of the 123g amax bullets.

Any suggestions of a source for these in stock?
          They have them in stock at www.gunstop.com It's only one on my source list that had them in stock. I hope this helps you.

Mike
          Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2011, 04:03 AM. Reason: add more information

Comment

Just got some from Powder Valley last week. Check them out:http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ OOPS, I see they are out of stock today.

Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MikeinGa View Post
              They have them in stock at www.gunstop.com It's only one on my source list that had them in stock. I hope this helps you.
              Thanks Mike! Already received a UPS shipment notice, I'll add these guys to my list!

Also in GA (if that's what your handle means)

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                Thanks Mike! Already received a UPS shipment notice, I'll add these guys to my list!

Also in GA (if that's what your handle means)
                Yes. I live Habersham county, north east Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeinGa View Post

Mike
                  Whoa! That's my local watering hole. They're good people. Prices vary from competitive with Midway to MSRP, depending upon what you're looking for.

Remembering that I'm new to this caliber, can someone tell me why Hornady sells both 120 and 123 gr Amax's? I'm not used to seeing a special product variation of only 3 gr. It seems like an insignificant step. What am I missing here? It's like why a 129gr as opposed to a 130gr?

Hoot
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Hoot,

The 120 was the original 6.5 offering, and is a bit of less aerodynamic, similar to the 120 Sierra MK. It could not be loaded to mag length in most Grendels without being in the lands because of that rounder nose. Like the Sierra, it was forgiving, and jumped the leade well, but the BC was a little less than optimal, and took up a little more powder space.

The 123 was developed specifically for the Grendel once Hornady decided to load the round. Its BC was developed for longer range shooting. Sierra did the same thing with their 120 and 123 MK's, though I don't think it was with the Grendel specifically in mind.

Comment

• El Wray
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2011

Check out Palmetto State Armory @ www.palmettostatearmory.com
                      "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein

www.el-wray.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Hoot,

The 120 was the original 6.5 offering, and is a bit of less aerodynamic, similar to the 120 Sierra MK. It could not be loaded to mag length in most Grendels without being in the lands because of that rounder nose. Like the Sierra, it was forgiving, and jumped the leade well, but the BC was a little less than optimal, and took up a little more powder space.

The 123 was developed specifically for the Grendel once Hornady decided to load the round. Its BC was developed for longer range shooting. Sierra did the same thing with their 120 and 123 MK's, though I don't think it was with the Grendel specifically in mind.
                        Thanks for the education Bill. Is there a detail rich, historical accounting of the Grendel out there for the reading? I mean, not just a 1-2 page magazine intro article, but one that tracks the design and evolution side of the firearm as well as the ammunition side?

Thanks,

Hoot

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                          Thanks for the education Bill. Is there a detail rich, historical accounting of the Grendel out there for the reading? I mean, not just a 1-2 page magazine intro article, but one that tracks the design and evolution side of the firearm as well as the ammunition side?

Thanks,

Hoot
                          It would take a book, with all the twists and turns, people involved, etc.

David Fortier published this article:

But its really a condensation of a lot of information to make it magazine friendly. The bare bones are there, but there is more information out there. I'm hoping Fortier or one of the other gunwriters decides to write it all up, but I do know that there are a lot of differing opinions about WHO had how much input and influence, and WHEN it happened, and WHY there was a breakup of the original group that worked on it.

Form what I know, Arne Brennan started working on the cartridge in the 1990's basing his work on stuff that Dr. Lou Palmisano had done even earlier with the PPC. The Grendel evolved from that work, with Lapua being contracted to make a modified PPC case for the Grendel by Alexander Arms.

There's lots of "he said, BUT HE SAID" politics, along with a financial restructuring of AA, etc. involved in it, and lots of hurt and bad feelings between the players. There is plenty of ugliness to go around, which I'm realizing is part and parcel for the industry. (Witness the recent AAC Blackout takeoff of the Whisper cartridges.) I don't think the liberals will have to outlaw guns, I think the industry is going to kill itself!

I've started putting together a compilation of the stuff that I can find, posted by Bill Alexander, Arne Brennan, etc., but there are lots of holes in it. Unfortunately, a lot of information was lost when the last board crashed.

Regardless, every version of the story is tainted by the point of view it is told from, as would be expected.

Someone like Fortier could probably talk to all the parties and get all the points of view, and hopefully be able to come up with a reasonable, relatively unbiased history, but I'm not sure the market would support all the work!

I've collected all the magazine articles over the years that I can find, but I know that there are some I don't have, including those written by Stan Crist, which had been on our previous board.

Comment

Working...
                          X