AA2520 alternative for 123g AMAX?? Leverolution? 8208?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

AA2520 alternative for 123g AMAX?? Leverolution? 8208?

I've lost the thread on the new powders.... did any of the newer powders (Leverolution, 8208, etc) end up being "better" than 2520 for 120-123g?

I'm happy with 2520 accuracy & velocity, but would be interested to try alternatives if there was an advantage. Probably temperature sensitivity is my biggest concern.

I know folks were posting good results with Leverlution, but then I saw posts that it was just as temp sensitive as 2520.

Any updates suitable for 120-123g would be appreciated.

I have switched to 28.5gr AR-Comp (-20 to +140F) in my Hornady brass and love it. Bug hole at 100 yards pushing Amax123 @ 2615fps out of a 24" tube if I do my part right. I recently ordered some AA (Lapua) brass and don't know if I will still be able to cram enough of it in to hit the same velocity. Time will tell. No doubt, I'll have to work the load up again. It's density is less than other powders I have tried and needs all the case it can get to reach 28.5gr.

It also works well with the Amax 140 hitting 2340fps ahead of 26gr (also crammed in).

Hoot
    Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I am liking the leverevolution pretty well. Haven't tried it in really hot or really cold weather but the brass is not showing pressure signs at 28.6gr. Got some great accuracy at 200yds with both A Max & Lapua 123s. It seemed (with my limited skills) to have a little wider range of powder charge to still get decent accuracy with the lapua bullet. Again, that is with my limited skills, though. YMMV, as they say.
      I also like the 8208 but it reached pressure signs closer to the accurate load than the LVR powder. Again, haven't shot it in really hot or really cold weather. Did work up the loads with temps in the high 80s, though.
      MLM

Comment

I will continue to preach the praises of H322. Admittedly though, there is the potential for port pressure problems. Still, it's a powder that has yet to fail me in regard to consistency. It is now established as my go to powder. Regardless of its relatively fast burn rate, it shoots damn well. It is most certainly an under rated powder. I can't believe there aren't more people using it.

My limited experience with IMR8208 has been promising.

Comment

I tried 8208 an Leverevolution. Got the same velocity and a little better accuracy with 8208. I don't have the load in front of me, but I used a drop tube to get the Leverevolution in the case and still ran out of room before I got pressure signs. This was a 24" LBC barrel.

Comment

I used Leverevolution in different barrels with a 120gr TTSX, which takes up a lot of the case. I could max the load by volume and not get pressure signs with that bullet. The longer barrels got good velocity, the short ones did not. The actions worked in all of them (well the 14 inch pistol didn't need the action to work, but lost too much velocity). I'd say longer barrels, and if you've got more case capacity than I had because of a different bullet selection then I can't say about pressure signs. I had a VERY low sd.

Comment

• COTNTOP
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I use Lapua brass with 28.0 gr AR-comp/123 scenar and still have room. Had what i considered a cold bore shot and the increased load solved that problem. No pressure signs so i will inch up just a little. (2620 fps/24 in. Shilen)

Comment

I've seen the new Accurate loads and they don't even list 2520 as a Grendel load anymore (even though thats what I prefer). I believe what they are listing now is AA2230.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                  I've seen the new Accurate loads and they don't even list 2520 as a Grendel load anymore (even though thats what I prefer). I believe what they are listing now is AA2230.
                  I never saw any from Accurate that did mention 2520. They show 2230 for bullets from 85 grains to 120 grains. The 120 grain bullet loads with 2230 are 100 fps slower than 2520 in a 20 inch barrel.

2230 is too fast for the 120 grain bullets.

I don't know what their logic is, but I suspect it's just a lack of interest in working up loads for the Grendel. That may change when the Grendel market gets a ittle bigger.

RR

Comment

• pinzgauer
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                    I never saw any from Accurate that did mention 2520. They show 2230 for bullets from 85 grains to 120 grains.
                    their load data two years ago did not show 2520 for grendel.

Accurate is normally pretty good about listing new cartridges, maybe we just need to tell them.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                      their load data two years ago did not show 2520 for grendel.

Accurate is normally pretty good about listing new cartridges, maybe we just need to tell them.

Yes, if they already have a test rig surely they can do better than what they have.

RR

Comment

• pinzgauer
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Revisiting this thread.... with CFE, 8208, and 2520 nowhere in sight for ages, I'm wondering if Leverolution may be worth trying... I'm seeing it in stock quite a bit.

I've read all the old threads on it, seems like not the optimal choice, but a reasonable one in a jam. I'm looking for a backup for 2520, just use it for plinking, etc. keep my serious loads as 2520.

Worth giving a try since it's available? The only thing that's making me question is that I'm shooting carbines mostly now, and it seems to do better in longer barrels.

Comment

• Onewolf
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2013

I keep reading that it performs basically identical to CFE223.

I just got 8 lbs of 8208 and 5 lbs of CFE223 in the last week.

Keep an eye on Gunbot.net. Someone on here provided the alert on the 8208 from Wideners last week.

Comment

• maverick5582

I have been using 30.2 grains of LVR with the 123 SST and getting an average of 2567 f.p.s with Lapua AA brass and CCI 450 primers with my 24" barrel.

Comment

Get some AR Comp.
                              It's the most accurate powder I've tried.
                              My last 5 shot group with 123 SST's went .7 wide by .3 inches tall.
                              I'm getting a little over 2500 fps.
                              It is going to be my go to powder for the 123's.
                              Glad I got 3 pounds.
                              CFE works great also but I like stick powders more.

Comment

Working...
                              X