Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30grs bullets at 2500 fps? SST + ACCUBOND

How's it.

Here's the thing. I need the catridge to deliver a legally required ammount of energy donwrange for hunting. Maximum barrel length for the upper is 20". The bullets that are of interest to me are 129gr SST , 130gr Accubond , 130gr Scirocco.

So my question is, can you reliably push these 130gr bullets to 2480 - 2500 fps with safe handloads?

That's what I need to be sure of before comitting to the 6.5. Maybe someone can help, I appreciate it. Thank you.

Asterix
    Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:21 PM.

With only a 20" barrel, I think you will have a hard time safely reaching 2500fps with say a 130gr Nosler Accubond. I run a 24" barrel and I could barely get it there in QuickLoad with the 130gr. Life sometimes defies QuickLoad, so I will let others wade in on this. I do safely push a 123gr Amax to 2615fps out of my 24" barrel with AR-Comp powder. That is my go-to deer load for my 6.5 Grendel. FWIW, that is more muzzle energy than a 130gr at 2500fps. I do not have any experience with the Grendel and ball powders, as up here in MN, we can have 120 degree or more, temperature swing from winter to summer. I understand some of them can do better than the extruded powders I use. See what others have to say.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post

So my question is, can you reliably push these 130grs bullets to 2480 - 2500 fps with safe handloads?
      No. Not in a 24 inch barrel and certainly not in a 20 inch barrel.

Comment

Yes the 123gr Amax has the energy, plenty. Regarding the legal requirements, they apply for hoggies and larger game. The point would be to have a bullet that provides better penetration, therefore the bonded bullets.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies hoot and mseric.

What about a 100 gr. TTSX at 2870 fps?

mseric, in the 3000fps thread I saw you tested the 100gr Nosler BT up to 2850fps out of a 18" barrel. Isn't that likely to work as well with the 100gr TTSX? Who made your barrel, and what are the specs? Thank you.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I have a 20" barrel

I get 2465 with the 129 gr. SST and LVR.

Comment

• StoneTower

What exactly are the energy requirements? Most states require a minimum "caliber" (bullet diameter) with a bottleneck case when they have a restriction.

There is a load that has been posted that will deliver 2775 out of a 20" LW barrel with a 100gr Barnes TTSX. It shoots in one side of a large hog and out the other (takes out both shoulders) and leaves only destruction in between.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Asert. What state has this Reqirement of a certain energy level, on a 6.5 unit ?

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                  I have a 20" barrel

I get 2465 with the 129 gr. SST and LVR.
                  What load do you use? I was only able to get about 2315 from 30.6 grains of LeveRevolution in a 20 inch barrel with a Swift 130 grain Scirocco.

RR

Comment

The requirement is 1475 ft-lbs at 110 yards. Converted from metric units, hence the odd numbers.

SST at 2465 is very interesting, close call in lower temperatures only. 100gr TTSX would be a great bullet if I could get the velocity to legally use it.

Hoot,
                    I read about the mag and upper modification for the OSSM. If you loaded the 129gr SST to an OAL of 2.40", will you get the velocities?
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Will a COAL of 2.40" work at all? It's useless if the bullet will get stuck and pulled upon ejecting an unfired round.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

It will depend on the ogive of the projectile for max COAL. If you're looking to get more powder in there, increasing the CAOL is one way, but you are pushing the AR bolts when you start getting to those powder volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
                          The requirement is 1475 ft-lbs at 110 yards. Converted from metric units, hence the odd numbers.

SST at 2465 is very interesting, close call in lower temperatures only. 100gr TTSX would be a great bullet if I could get the velocity to legally use it.

Hoot,
                          I read about the mag and upper modification for the OSSM. If you loaded the 129gr SST to an OAL of 2.40", will you get the 2500 fps out of the 20" barrel?
                          AA data for this bullet is 2.260 @2467 out of a 24 inch barrel. Drop that to 20 inch barrel and you get about 2350-2400fps. Reducing the OAL to 2.240 will not increase pressures and velocity to give you 2500fps. As a mater of fact, reducing OAL decreases pressure in a bottle necked rifle round, it does not increase it.

Comment

So a longer COAL does not buy me anything, because I can't use the extra case volume.

Well if anyone has some more advice, or comes across a load that they get similar velocities with, let me know. Thanks a lot for your help.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

What State has these requirements that you are attempting to meet?

Comment

Working...
                              X