Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .263 dia bullets

Hey guys,

I was out on one of my scrounging trips this week and was in an old gun store, they had a lot of boxes of old Speer and Sierra bullets that were marked .263 diameter. Well since I have a couple of different 6.5mm guns and they were dirt cheap I bought a bunch of them, the Speer are 120gr and 140gr and the Sierra are 87gr. What do you guys think of using these for fire forming? That is what I was thinking when I got them, I can use them in the Grendel and my 6.5x284, and if I ever find another barrel for mo contender I will start shooting the 6.5 T/CU again.

So, any thoughts about using these? they measure .2629 to .2635 for the boxes I have opened and checked.

Greg
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I have some Speers as well, I bought as many as I could afford when a local store closed more than 25 yrs ago. I have shot them in the 6.5 TCU, 6.5x55 and the Grendel. They shot as well as the 264's in my trembling hands. Some of those speers are at least 30 years old. So I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I also shot up some old stock .263 speers, they shot fine, just may not be your most accurate load. Given I paid $6-7/box I did not mind.

The only issue you might run into is possibly neck tension depending on your brass and die combination.

They were fine with IMI 7.62x39 brass in Forster dies, but some were too loose in Wolf brass due to their thinner neck walls.

Some of the speer ".263" were as small as .261-.262. Even Sierra's have some variation, it's just that the .263' + variance were definitely on the small size.

For comparison, most of the wolf SP's I measured were .261 as well, which I think contributes to their lower accuracy.

Comment

Pinzgaur,

That is about what I paid for these also, I just couldn't pass them up for that price. The boxes show the old globe that Speer used for years before they changed over. The Sierra have the green boxes with the metal reinforcements on the corners where they come together. I will shoot them up and see how they do.

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X