Start point for 100gn Sierra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start point for 100gn Sierra

Does anyone have a good starting point for an 18" barrel with 100gn Sierra Varmint bullets? The powders that I have are IMR 4895, Varget, RL-10 (heard not good in Grendel) RL-15, Win 748, TAC, X-Terminator and some others... Does anyone have a good load that I can start with so I don't waste time/powder?
  • BenchRider

The Ramshot website lists the max for X-terminator pushing a 100 gr Nos B-Tip out of a 20" barrel with a 10" twist at 29.7gr to reach 2709fps -- but I expect you already knew that.
    I would think that the shorter barrel would favor the faster powder.

I will caution you to measure your chamber with the Sierra Varmint bullets. The data I *thought* I remembered from the Alexander Arms load data had a COL of 2.200 -- and that turned out to be stuffing those particular bullets about 0.012" into the rifling in my barrel. Incredibly accurate, but it was good that I had started low in the charge weight.

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I loaded some of them, very blunt. Don't have my data with me but had to be 2.10" or less not to be in the rifling. Also, I used X-term powder, I'll try and check my notes. I had better luck with 95gr V-max and even better with 100gr Bergers in that weight range.

Comment

Working...
      X