Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Happy birthday gene stoner!!!!

Eugene Stoner was born on this day ( Nov 22 ) in 1922.

I think its fair to say that had he not invented the AR-10 and AR-15, we wouldn't be here.

I happen to know its his birthday because it also happens to be MY BIRTHDAY too!!! ha ha !

And yes, coincidentally my name is also Gene !! ha ha ha ! ( But I assure you that the similarities end there. ha ha ha ! )

At any rate, I have always admired this man's genius and thought that he might deserve mention here on this special date amongst so many of us who love his guns.... ( even if maybe not his 223 caliber so much....).

He was definitely the kind of innovator that comes around once in a hundred years. I have yet to see an assault rifle design that comes anywhere close to what he did, and selective military units and civilians seem to vote to that fact with their weapon choices more than any other to this day.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post

I think its fair to say that had he not invented the AR-10 and AR-15, we wouldn't be here.
      I'm not sure about that. The small-caliber, high-velocity concept was gathering momentum at the time, and I think it's likely the military would have ended up with a .22-caliber rifle, regardless. It probably would've looked more like an M14, though, and maybe have fired the .224 Springfield instead of Stoner's .222 Special, but in any case the tiny bullet would have still spurred creation of 6.5 Grendel.

So we'd all still be here to wish you Happy Birthday!
      Last edited by stanc; 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Happy B-day! And from what I've read, he wasn't really willing to be the father of the .223, either! He accepted it because he had no real choice, but he wasn't happy with the process!

Comment

I happen to know its his birthday because it also happens to be MY BIRTHDAY too!!! ha ha !

And yes, coincidentally my name is also Gene !! ha ha ha ! ( But I assure you that the similarities end there. ha ha ha ! )

At any rate, I have always admired this man's genius and thought that he might deserve mention here on this special date amongst so many of us who love his guns.... ( even if maybe not his 223 caliber so much....).
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY to both of you.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            I'm not sure about that. The small-caliber, high-velocity concept was gathering momentum at the time, and I think it's likely the military would have ended up with a .22-caliber rifle, regardless. It probably would've looked more like an M14, though, and maybe have fired the .224 Springfield instead of Stoner's .222 Special, but in any case the tiny bullet would have still spurred creation of 6.5 Grendel.

So we'd all still be here to wish you Happy Birthday!

Thanks to all for the good birthday wishes!!

Stanc, i have a hard time imagining all the variations of foreends with rails, stocks, flat top receivers that afford all kinds of sighting systems... ( in other words the versatility of the modern AR ) embodied in an M-14 clone or derivative...

In other words i am glad we are here with the AR and not the M-14.

Take care.

Gene

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Stanc, i have a hard time imagining all the variations of foreends with rails, stocks, flat top receivers that afford all kinds of sighting systems... ( in other words the versatility of the modern AR ) embodied in an M-14 clone or derivative...
              The AR15 is more versatile in some ways, but much less versatile in others. Fer instance, it's easy to put a folding stock or bullpup stock on an M14, but to do so on a standard AR15 is impossible.
              In other words i am glad we are here with the AR and not the M-14.
              As are many others, I'm sure. All I was saying is that we'd probably be 6.5 Grendel fans even if there had not been an AR15.

Would the 6.5 Grendel cartridge never have been developed? (This question was prompted by a comment in http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?1543-Happy-birthday-gene-stoner!!!!&p=15810&viewfull=1#post15810) The modern small-caliber, high-velocity cartridge concept was not initiated by Gene Stoner. Indeed,

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Stan, I agree with you on that one.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

G-G, happy birthday to you both!

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                  X