????????'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ????????'s

I've got a AA tac 16 with a few mods that has been my desinated hunting rifle. I've loaded 120 barnes ttsx,120 nosler blt,120 smk all with BLC2. I perfer the barnes, but when I emailed them they said my max range for 120 ttsx would be around 125yds,needs 2000FPS at impact. I dont own a chronoy so I dont know my actual velocity, I'm rolling up 31 grs of BLC2 in wolf brass with cci lrg rifle primer with the 120 ttsx and 16" pipe any ideas on what my velocities would be.

He reccomended the 100TTSX, which powder would be best for that application, I see blc2 is not used on lighter bullets, and yes it is dirty but I've had good results with it.
    It's mainly used on whitetails, but we been blessed with "pigs" some very large.Also taken bobcats,coyotes.
    Just looking for the best allround bullet.
    My rifle likes the 123 amax also but Hornaday gets sorta hateful when you ask them about using it for taking game with it so I've done nothing but punch paper with it.
    Thanks in advanced, Mitch
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I have used X-Term with good results in the 95-100gr bullets. I feel the 123 A-max will work fine for all game but large hogs. I am taking mine deer hunting this year, using 123 A-max. I'll avoid the shoulder, but at Grendel velocities, it should be just fine. BTW, it will be an anterless hunt I'm going on, its a population control on a large farm.

Comment

Welcome. Did you see this thread:

Just a range report for those looking at bullet performance Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip... 30.0 grns Win 748 197 Yds up the tail pipe .. Bullet stopped in base of the neck weighted 89.1 Grns for a retained weight of 74.25% Great mushroom .. Deer dropped in tracks

Comment

Yea everything I shot at last year with the 120 ballistic tip died. Just heard so many horror stories about em ,made me a little nervious. I shoulder shoot my deer and they general never take another step just want to make sure my bullet going to hold up. Barnes has never let me down but I generally shoot weapons with higher velocities so I didnt know it limited my ethical kill range so much. That being said I think the slower velocities of the grendel make ballistic tip a good choice. Just wondering how its going to react on one those 300+ boars, the 120 ttsx have all been DRT but all shots have been under 50 yards so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mrclif View Post
          Yea everything I shot at last year with the 120 ballistic tip died. Just heard so many horror stories about em ,made me a little nervious. I shoulder shoot my deer and they general never take another step just want to make sure my bullet going to hold up. Barnes has never let me down but I generally shoot weapons with higher velocities so I didnt know it limited my ethical kill range so much. That being said I think the slower velocities of the grendel make ballistic tip a good choice. Just wondering how its going to react on one those 300+ boars, the 120 ttsx have all been DRT but all shots have been under 50 yards so far.
          what do you mean by died, barrel died? not useful already or the one hit by 120 ballistic tip are dead on the spot. sorry for the simple question.

Comment

I'm picking up the processed pork from 2 hogs tommorow, both shot and killed easily with 1 shot from a 6.5 Grenedl using the 123 gr Hornady factory load both from a 18 barrel. Neither were hit in the CNS. Nothing wrong with the factory load for hogs. If your rifle likes the factory load, use it us it with confidence out to 300 yards. Consider cheaper 120 gr hunting bullets and BLC 2 in the grendel. I have not had much expierence with Barnes in the Grendel.

Comment

Every thing I shot last season with the nosler 120ballistic tip no longer lives,two 200 lbs whitetails one song dog and a bobcat.Just worried about its integrity to hold up on large hogs.
              Barnes has never failed me on quick kills,just wondering which powder and loading rec. on 100 gr ttsx and wolf brass.
              Thanks, Mitch
              Originally posted by 65man View Post
              what do you mean by died, barrel died? not useful already or the one hit by 120 ballistic tip are dead on the spot. sorry for the simple question.

Comment

Found PA Allens load on the 100ttsx with H335,going to give it a test drive.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

mrclif,
                  I hope the H335 and 100 TTSX combo works for you as well as it has for me. I have no experience with Wolf brass, so I would advise backing down on the powder charge and working up. I have also had good luck with the 120 NBT and would not hesitate to use them either.

Best,
                  PA

Comment

Thanks fer your help I cant remember what to back off on large primer brass maybe somebody will chime in.

I see you in the cotton state too," ROLL TIDE"

Comment

I use the exact same loads in my wolf brass that I use in my Lapua brass. The wolf is softer but has no issues with my standard loads (30.5 gr of AA 25200. I've also noticed no difference in performance between the lapua and the wolf brass. I do have to mention that the few cases that eventually (after many reloads) had split necks were the wolf brass, but most have had multiple reloads with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                        I use the exact same loads in my wolf brass that I use in my Lapua brass. The wolf is softer but has no issues with my standard loads (30.5 gr of AA 25200. I've also noticed no difference in performance between the lapua and the wolf brass. I do have to mention that the few cases that eventually (after many reloads) had split necks were the wolf brass, but most have had multiple reloads with no problems.
                        Thank ya sir

Comment

Working...
                        X