North Texas checking in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas checking in.

New to this forum. Been a member on others for quite a while. Referred to some of the info found her for a build I'm trying to wrap up. I've built lots of rifles up but this is my first Grendel. Thanks to all the people with knowledge for their posts, some really good info here. I'll get pics of the current build up as soon as I can.

SP
  • Grendel-Gene

Welcome here!! I am another north Texan, just an hour west of Fort Worth!!!

Comment

In Plano, north of big D. Thanks.

SP

Comment

As some of you may know, Eugene Stoner, inventor of the AR 15 would have celebrated his birthday on November 22nd ( it also happens to be mine - ha ha ). I notice that there are quite a few folks on the board living close to the Dallas / Fort Worth area. So how about some of us get together one of these Sundays and do a

if you finish your build by dec 4th maybe you can come shoot with us! all thanks to Gene

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
          http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...in-North-Texas
          if you finish your build by dec 4th maybe you can come shoot with us! all thanks to Gene
          Even if he hasnt finished it he can come out and shoot anything else he likes... ha ha !

Comment

Thanks a lot for the invite. I'm shooting that day already in Seven Points. Planned a few months ago.
            Typically I shoot tactical bolt guns at long range and a group of us have a get together for a test and range day at the North Texas Rifle Precision Range. We shoot out to 1780 yards there.
            I'd appreciate a rain check and look forward to meeting up.
            My build is sitting right now waiting on a few parts. Using a side charging upper on this one and it's on order. Waiting on a mid length gas tube of all things. Plenty of carbine and rifle length. It should be ready by mid December. This build was a last minute thing. I went to Stiller Precision to pick up parts for a bolt gun build. While there, Jerry Stiller showed me his new billet lower receiver. I bought one knowing I didn't need it. Brought it home and it sat on my bench waiting for me to figure out what I was going to do with it. I have AR's in .22, 9mm, .223, .308 and .204. SBR's and all sorts. I wanted something different so I chose the Grendel. Typically, I buy parts and assemble it like I want. Finding a barrel has been a pain. Everyone that offers a barrel has nothing in stock. Found barrel and bolt. Had a PRS stock, low pro gas block, extra hand guard and few other things. Had to order a flash hider to use as thread protector since I have nothing with 9/16-24 threads to match muzzle. Having a thread adapter made in 9/16-24 so I can run one of my Suppressors. Still haven't ordered mag's or trigger. Going to shoot some Hornady factory 123's for now. I reload for all my bolt guns and for my .308 and .204 AR's and will probably do the same for this rifle but want to get the gun running before I worry about building loads. I'm sure I will end up pushing it to the 1000-1200 yard steel at some point.
            Sorry to be so long in the post. Thanks again for the invite, have fun and let me know how it goes.

SP

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

i want one of those stiller lowers too.... not sure what for yet... maybe a 24 inch grendel. your new rig sounds really great. cant wait to see it.....

and wow..... 1780 yards!!!!!! where is this range at? what does it cost to shoot there? can i take my Barrett out there?

again welcome.

Comment

I posted a beginning pic in the photo gallery of the stiller action and stock. I've got a pile of parts right now. The action is very nice. As far as the range, it's a private range in Seven Points Tx right on Cedar Creek Lake and the Trinity river. It's operated as a training facility by Jay Ruby, owner of North Texas Rifle Precision. He is a close friend. He has open range days every couple of months for students who have taken his classes. There are quite a few of us who meet up on the range day to shoot. There are 3 towers. At 750, 1350 and 1780 yards. Plus numerous positional shooting areas with obstacles and barricades. We all shoot tactical matches and he just put on a big match back in October. it's the only place local to shoot the big guns at distance. I'm sure you know all the other ranges are either 100 yards or you have to deal with other people. 1780 yards is a stretch for sure. I'm maxed out at 1350 but can push my 308 and 155 scenar that far with a little help from a tail wind. Some of the .260's are still supersonic at that range so they are better. I'm working on getting a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun built up to stretch out past the 1350. We all shoot AR's a good bit too. Jay Ruby just got a GAP built 6 Creedmoor that takes the 6.5 case and necks down to 6mm. Very nasty and fast. You can see pics of the range on his website. Look at the NTRP forum and see the pics.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Hey, SP, welcome!

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                  X