• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Wolf Ammo

I know that people seem to like the wolf 120 MPT ammo. Any idea when the 110 gr FMJ will be available? That may be a nice addition.

I assume that Wolf will stick with Large Rifle primers?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Wolf is presently working on the FMJ and steel case loads. The trial loads are being processed and AA will hopefully give us some up to date information soon.

Comment

I hope the news is good, the more ammo manufacturers the better.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by skyfish View Post
        I know that people seem to like the wolf 120 MPT ammo. Any idea when the 110 gr FMJ will be available? That may be a nice addition. I assume that Wolf will stick with Large Rifle primers?
        S99:

Basic run down. The original Wolf stuff was a 120 Soft Point and every aspect of this cartridge sucked. It fowled the barrel terribly and we believe dangerously, accuracy was in the four to five minute range, and the brass was basically one shot. I am not sure if Wolf is selling it anymore. If the SP stuff is your only option, pull its bullet and replace it with a 120 SMK. Other than that, I doubt anyone here would advise someone to buy the 120 SP. The MPT is a different story.

The first lots of Wolf MPT that came out three or so years ago were OK for blasting ammo. Basically two to three minute quality but as Wolf made more lots, it appeared the the brass became more durable as we could reload it without worrying about blown primers.

The newest lots of Wolf MPT are IMHO extremely well made. Accuracy potential is around one minute and you can reload the brass five or six times. It is the only commercially sold ammunition I believe is worth the money. Basically about $.65 a shot which is extremely good for the quality you are getting. I would trust it at 300 but haven't shot it enough at 500 to see how well it holds.

LR55

Comment

Does Wolf publish ballistic coefficient information for their 120 gr SP and the possibly new 110 gr FMJ?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

JA,

So far as I can find, no. The 120 shoots out to 400 with a little less drop than the 120 Sierra loaded to similar velocity, in my experience, but LR1955 has shot more of both than I have and probably has a better idea.

Also, the original soft point Wolf was 123 grain, not 120. (I still have 2 loaded magazines of the stuff, going to waste it with my old barrel next chance I get.)

Comment

BW,

Thanks! I know that much of the military interest has been on the 123 gr, but LR1955 indirectly prompted me to start thinking about flatter shooting alternatives for the Grendel. The notion would be to trade extremely long range (>1000 meters) performance for flatter trajectories and satisfactory lethality under about 600 meters.

(Yes, there is overlap between this and a thread in the Military and Law Enforcement section because of the lighter and possibly efficient FMJ.)

Comment

• pinzgauer
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                It fowled the barrel terribly and we believe dangerously, accuracy was in the four to five minute range, and the brass was basically one shot.
                I'm curious about this.... what made it dangerous? Just lot's of fouling to the point of higher pressures? Or somehow permanently fouling barrels?

I found the bullets to be very undersized in my Wolf SP, so am surprised it would foul so much. I've not shot more than 1-2 boxes of it, so don't have enough experience with it. I did save it for plinking.

Likewise, I noticed the brass was much thinner, but did not see other problems. What problems do you see which makes it one shot?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                  I'm curious about this.... what made it dangerous? Just lot's of fouling to the point of higher pressures? Or somehow permanently fouling barrels?

I found the bullets to be very undersized in my Wolf SP, so am surprised it would foul so much. I've not shot more than 1-2 boxes of it, so don't have enough experience with it. I did save it for plinking.

Likewise, I noticed the brass was much thinner, but did not see other problems. What problems do you see which makes it one shot?
                  PG:

See http://www.jprifles.com/safety.php?offset=2

When this notice came out was when the first big lot of Wolf 123 grain SP hit the US. At the time, it was almost impossible to get AA factory loads or AA / Lapua brass. And the Wolf MPT was not available at all. JP wouldn't say what specific brand of factory loads he was talking about but the process of elimination made it real clear.

Also, guys who bought this Wolf 123 Soft Point ammo commented on how badly it fowled and how they thought that malfunctions they were experiencing were the result of the apparently immense amount of carbon and brass fowling that accumulated in their bolts and particularly barrels. A number of guys commented on the hours they had to spend cleaning copper fowling from their barrels after shooting a box of that stuff.

As for brass life, once again the guys on the forum who were so enthused about the Wolf 123 when it came out soon found that the brass life ranged from no reloads to one or two. Why? Most of it was loose primer pockets after the first shot.

Perhaps later lots of the Wolf 123 (if any exist) were better in terms of bullet jacket material, powder, and brass quality. I don't know because I had enough AA / Lapua brass at that time so I didn't have to worry about Wolf brass.

Of course the Wolf 120 MPT was and is of much higher quality. I have bought 1K rounds over the last couple of years and would buy another K in a instant. Not the highest velocity but their quality has improved so much since the first lots of MPT that it is worth the $.65 per shot.

LR1955

Comment

August 2011

----- Original Message -----
                    To: info@wolfammo.com
                    Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:49 AM
                    Subject: 110 grain 6.5 Grendel

I (with many others) have been anxiously awaiting the 110 FMJ 6.5 Grendel's
                    arrival. Any estimates on shipping dates?

Thanks,
                    XXXXXXXXX

For what it's worth, info@wolfammo.com apparently has approximately the same relationship with the truth as politicians and weathermen...

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

I think its more along the line of "hoped for, but has not yet come to pass!".

The first test ammo was due at AA anytime, last time I discussed it with Bill Alexander.

Comment

Alpha, I, too, pinged Wolf today to express my interest in the 110 grn FMJ steel case load. I told them if they didn't hurry I'd
                        bring plague and pestilence upon their company. Or perhaps I simply told them that I, as well as other Grendel shooting enthusiasts, was anxiously awaiting the load. It was one of the two statements; too little coffee today.

Originally posted by Alphadog View Post
                        August 2011

----- Original Message -----
                        To: info@wolfammo.com
                        Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:49 AM
                        Subject: 110 grain 6.5 Grendel

I (with many others) have been anxiously awaiting the 110 FMJ 6.5 Grendel's
                        arrival. ...

Comment

The Wolf MPT and the soft point ammo are not the same. Further, the current production is substantially different than the early production.

While this is not first class ammo, it is worth the money because it enables you to shoot your Grendel rifle a lot more.

You have to remember that there are some folks on here that have some kind of interest in the 6.5 Grendel failing. I don't know why, but they do. They're the folks that complain whenever something positive for the 6.5G is introduced.

Wolf ammo is available now.

Comment

I fired some wolf 120gr MPT today in a 16 inch barrel and got 2410fps in a 16 inch barrel, and the foulding didn't look terribly bad when I cleaned but I'm using a gas piston gun. I got 2 MOA at 100 yards on a windy day, but I'm not sure what the gun is capable of yet, being a gas piston. Also, this is large primer brass. The brass doesn't appear thin, but if the life hasn't been good in the past I may try annealing it all before reloading to see if it does better.

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              Wolf is presently working on the FMJ and steel case loads. The trial loads are being processed and AA will hopefully give us some up to date information soon.
                              It's now been four months. Anything at all to report?

Comment

Working...
                              X