Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badguybuster

Noob from WV

Howdy from WV. I am a member of a lot of forums and have been a beowulf owner for quite some time but I recently sold it and am looking to buy a grendel.

I am looking at the AA Tactical Grendel Upper. Opinions?
  • texasgrunt

What are you expecting to get out of your rifle? Or what are you planning on doing with it? Ranges, targets, ...?

Grunt

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Howdy, BGB, welcome!

John
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• RangerRick

Welcome BGB,

Which AA Tactical 10.5", 14", or 16"? Is it for hunting, home defense, target, long range, short range, all of the above?

You'll be happy with the Grendel, no matter which one you pick!

Rick

Comment

Welcome

Comment

• badguybuster

Howdy fellas. Thanks for the quick responses. I want it for hunting and long range. I'd really like a 20-24" barrel but may have to settle for the 16" since I am completely starting over with this caliber and will need to buy ammo and extras.

Comment

Welcome. I get great velocity from my 16" AA in the 100-120gr class bullets. 2700+ for the 100's, 2520fps for the 120's. I got it for hunting primarily, and to experiment around with the cartridge.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard from another West Virginian! I live in the Buckhannon area.

I couldn't settle for one barrel length, so I built a 10.5", a 14.5", and a 19.5"... The Grendel is addictive!
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• badguybuster

I can't justify more than one so I am trying to decide. Like to get a long one. I have a 16" in 9mm for close up home defense. Really want a long range/hunting riflr

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by badguybuster View Post
                    I can't justify more than one so I am trying to decide. Like to get a long one. I have a 16" in 9mm for close up home defense. Really want a long range/hunting riflr
                    I can definitely understand that. I started out with a 19.5" because I was going to shoot long, but I rarely ever get around to actually doing that these days. I decided it was an awesome rig, but was far too ungainly for hunting because of both weight and length. I then got a 14.5" figuring it'd be a lot handier. It definitely is. I then figured why not try a 10.5", and it is the sweetest one of the bunch when it comes to actually toting it around. It has an obnoxious blast, but a suppressor takes that out and makes it a pussy cat. It easily poleaxes deer too. It's plenty for regular hunting. To hunt out to 300 I'd probably go with a 14.5" for velocity retention, but an all around compromise for if I could only have one-- would probably be 16"-18". If I went for an 18" I'd probably be sure to get a G10 handguard and try to keep it on a diet weight wise. A dedicated long range rig is really a pain to drag around all the time when hunting. I guess it'd matter less if you only still hunted...

Which do you think you are likely to do more of? Hunt or shoot long? A lot of people want to shoot a 1000, but rarely ever actually do. I also find that (in my personal situation/experience) I rarely ever shoot a deer past 200 yds either. If I shoot longer than that then it is generally on purpose and I really could have done it closer if I hadn't intentionally set myself up to do it.

A 24" would be the berries for long range, but will really suck come deer season. JMHO

None of this necessarily applies to you (you might be completely different), it's just me thinking out loud about how things pan out for me in my own situation. Not meant as preaching, but as food for thought only!
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• texasgrunt

My 22" heavy varmint from LW is the schiznit. BUT, I wouldn't want to tote it around or try to swing it in cramped blind. The velocities and reteined energy with the shorter barrels make them more ideal for hunting IMHO.

Grunt

Comment

• badguybuster

Wow fellas thanks for the help. I found a new upper on Arfcom for 575 shipped with a 16" barrel that I think I'm gonna buy. Comes with one mag. Its the tactical upper. If I am not mistaken I can always add a longer barrel later correct? Will any AR grendel barrel fit it? Or does it have to be an AA barrel? Also, any ammo recommendations and best places to buy?

Comment

yes you can add a longer barrel later.
                          yes any grendel ar barrel will fit.
                          Ammo: Hornady 123 A-Max. I shoot sub 1/2-3/4 moa at 100 yards on a constant basis with this ammo. Awesome product. The best place to buy is http://palmettostatearmory.com/1299.php every now and then the price will go down to 17.99 a box with $12 shipping up to 1000 rounds. You might also take up reloading your own ammo once you get comfy with your rifle. good luck.

Comment

• badguybuster

Thanks for all the help really excited to get into it.

Comment

I am from WV too...From Putnam County, Live in Bridgeport M-F...Gonna get my first grendel in feb...

Comment

Working...
                              X