• Nov 2011

New To Reloading Data from my First loads

16" Tactical @ 100 Yards
    Tempature - 55- 60
    Wind - 0

Powder - TAC 27.2 Gr.
    Primers - WSR
    OAL - 2.235
    Projectiles - Hornady AMAX 123 Gr. and Barnes TSX 120 Gr.

(Sorry No Pics and no Chrono)

AMAX Best - 7 Shot group all holes touching slightly more than 1/2"
    TSX Best - 4 Shot group 1"

AMAX average - 3 and 5 Shot Groups 1" - 1 1/2"
    TSX Average - 4 Shot Group 1" - 2"

The 7 shot group that was my best got covered up by one round .50 Beowulf you could just barely see a Grendel hole next to it. (Probably couldn't do that again with the Wulf if I tried, I have a hard time getting good groups with that gun but you don't really need to be that accurate with it because whatever it hits falls down)
    Last edited by Kikn; 11-28-2011, 04:42 AM.

What were you using for sights/optic?

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

3x9x42 Counter Sniper

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
        16" Tactical @ 100 Yards

Pictures

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Sorry didn't take any pics. I shot it up sighting in my beowulf after I was done with the grendel.

Comment

how's that counter-sniper? heard nothing but horrible things about those scopes.

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

Its not the best scope by far. But it does suit my needs. its durable holds a zero bouncing around in a jeep or truck chasing pigs. It can make 200 yard shots at 2 am with out a moon our start light with nothing but an nd3 x 40 . at max magnification the cross hairs are very thin. At night on the same shots compared to my friends trijicon 3x10x50 its not that much difference. Dont get me wrong the trijicon does take in more light and is clearer. But you still can make the same shot. The only thing that I can rally say bad about it its the turret locks come loose. mildot is accurate enough, but only works at 9x. It is very tempting to spend a lot of money on a better scope and I probably will, but for now it does fill a role. if I ever find a place to shoot father than what I'm arty now I may find I have a need for a better more adequate scope, but until then I'm just window shopping...

On a side note I did get swindled somewhat when I bought the scope I thought I was getting SWFA SS, guy showed me the scope showed me the box told me what I thought it was but when I got home looked in the box it was the counter sniper. It was a sad moment but for all the bad shit I've read about the scope I haven't found it to be true. But then again my needs probably aren't nearly as sophisticated as others.

Sorry if the reading is crazy with run on sentences and misspellings as I'm typing it in from my phone

Comment

I've never handled one but when i did research about them nothing but bad reviews came up so i decided on a vortex pst. That sucks! were you able to confront the guy about it??
                heres a review on a counter sniper scope

ANYWAYS
                were you using a front/rear rest? bipod? whats the details on the barrel? button or cut? what kind of groups did you get with factory hornady?

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

I've seen that. I've also seen other posts refuting that video. And all the bad mouthing in many different forums has come all from the same 3 IP addresses. Someone has a personal vendeta aka hardon for those guys. But anyway...

I mostly was sitting with a front rest, some shots were taking from a standing position, obviously the best shots were not the standing shots :P it still grouped nicely 1" while standing
                  its just the standard AA 16" tactical rifle.

There really wasn't a noticable difference between the factory ammo and the loads that i made. I didn't have to make any elevation adjustments which was suprising but I do believe the factories shot about 1/4-1/2 inch higher while the reloaded TSX rounds were about 1/2- 1" lower than the reloaded Amax

Comment

I would find the guy that cheated you and break the CS over his face...that is a low blow to do that to someone, really. You have to see the thread on CS scopes at Sniper's Hide, you will die from laughter, I promise. I know if I go look at it right now I will probably ruin my shorts.

The whole Berillium Zantitium thing and marking them as Military Contract overruns is absolute lying to make sales. I promise you there is not one military unit issuing those optics. I've looked them over at SHOT, and talked with some of the reps, and they are the embodiment of marketing hype.

This is no dig on you, and I will personally do what I can to help you find other optics if and when the need arises. Sorry to hear that someone pulled that stunt. This is one of those times where I'd like to kick in Shariah law and do some dismemberment to the offender.

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

Believe me that though did cross my mind. It was at a gun show @ Big Town in Mesquite, Tx.

I guess thats what I get for oogling his hot ass wife while trying to buy something....she was also handy in purposefully distracting me with her ASSETS!

Comment

• Kikn
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Kikn,

I couldn't tell from the title and post whether you have just started reloading or that you used a new reloading data source. In the off chance that you are indeed new to reloading, could you give us some insight into your learning experiences?

Well I'm not entirely new to reloading ammunition, I've just never reloaded bullets or rifle bullets. My previous reloading experiences have been limited to shotguns only.
                        I had one of my friends that I race cars with that has a press walk me through setting up the press and making all the calibrations. As a matter of fact, there were numerous issues that had to be worked through and trouble shot with the set up. Which is really the best possible scenario for a newbie to encounter. You really dont learn that much when things go smoothly.

How much reloading have you done to date?

So far I have loaded just at 250 rounds for the grendel. Shotguns is in the multiple thousands

What part of getting started gave you the most anxiety?

Losing fingers and our damaging my gun ...lol I'm actually fairly meticulous when it comes to things that can be considered high risk. So I measured and weighed nearly everything possible to ensure that everything was where I wanted it to be

What were the most challenging learning experiences in getting started?

Getting the dies set up properly and lubricating the cases enough before starting makes the biggest difference in getting things to operate efficiently. I found if you don't get the sizing die set low enough the case won't be even throughout and you can have ejection issues. So first thing when setting up would be to ensure you set the sure correctly and make sure the case will fit in the chamber correctly and or make sure you test it with a sizing tool before you press a lot of rounds. It doesn't really make it an issue if you are firing rounds off but if you have to manually eject a round be sure to eat your wheaties that day....

Written via droid, I didn't spell check often so I hope it reades well enough to understand

Comment

• Kikn
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2011

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Kikn; 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X