Old Guy trying to up date my self to the New Age Reloading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acelungger

Old Guy trying to up date my self to the New Age Reloading.

Hi Folks,
    I have been reloading, 1972-1986 then backed off to reloading just enough to allow me to target practice with my handguns. In or around June 2010 I bought a 243WSSM AR 15 upper and i have have been playing with it. Last week I picked up my 6.5 Grendel barrel and will be playing with it. I have found that I can use a small percent of my 30 odd years of reloading.
    How many of you folks use Quick Load? Can anyone tell me of a book where I can read about Nodes? barrel harmonics, ect. Back in 1975 I devoleped a great load for my Ruger #1b 243 Win. and I used that same load up to the day I sold that rifle. Now I am in no mans land, starting all over!
    My goal is getting my 6.5 Grendel and my 243WSSM to shoot out to 1000 yards and beyond??
    I am in hopes that someone might steer me in the right direction?
    Greg
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in but I use Accurate shooter website http://www.accurateshooter.com/ and sniper central website. Each site has links to other sites and has been helpful to me.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

A friend also used to get precision shooter magazine and they also have a web site http://www.precisionshooting.com/psm_2007_04_frame.html

Comment

Found this on on Sniper's hide

There is a lot of info in their reloading section.

Comment

I would also check out http://ammoguide.com/ -- Over 100 loads for the Grendel and over ten thousand total -- including 48 for the WSSM.

My experience when modeling the Grendel with QuickLoad is that the velocities and pressures are overstated, particularly for the longer bullets, when using the default settings. I have also discovered that the pressures can be upwards of 8000 psi high or low, depending on powder and bullet weight.

Having mildly flamed QuickLoad, let me hasten to add that I use it frequently in parametric assessments across multiple calibers. It would also likely work OK if you are doing parametrics for a particular bullet and powder in the Grendel and start with a known safe max load. There are some knobs to twist, but my advice is to stay away from that unless you have significant experience in modeling in the aerodynamics, mechanical engineering or applied physics fields.

Alternatively, you could go to an online velocity estimator for changed barrel lengths, bullet and powder weights: http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/. While the only cost for using this page is the odd click on an advert, it just gives velocity estimates. You are SOL for pressure estimates and would need to rely on classic pressure signs whenever you increase bullet or powder weight from a known safe maximum load. The same caution applies whenever the bullet type is changed.

Comment

To Old Guy

Everything you learned reloading in 1970's still applies ..

Do a little looking around .. Find a common load .. (there are many on this site) back off 20% AND WORK UP till you have a great shooting load or you see pressure signs ..
            Personally I use Win 748 Powder as that is what I have used for 243, 6mm and 308
            very pleased with results .. I see many people using AA 2520 ..and I believe H335 .. Point is its still the same old method you are used to ..only real difference is you can now search the internet and get many/ many more confirmations on what is working besides asking around the range/ searching magazines as we did in the 70's

..developing/discovering a load is half the fun ..

Comment

PS dont be afraid to ask questions.,.. I find this site and its users to be much more agreeable to redundant questions than many others I visit .
              and thats a very good thing.. Sometimes seasoned users forget that a new person may not have hours to search thru a FAQ to get what to them should be a simple answer..

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smoke View Post
                PS dont be afraid to ask questions.,.. I find this site and its users to be much more agreeable to redundant questions than many others I visit .
                and thats a very good thing.. Sometimes seasoned users forget that a new person may not have hours to search thru a FAQ to get what to them should be a simple answer..
                Very true! I also find that many times even knowing the RIGHT question to ask is tough to figure out. Doing a search when the terms you are using or the question you want to ask isn't easy to phrase is often very frustrating.

SEARCH is your friend, however, and even now I often punch something in to see if it has much information and then find myself reading for hours, sometimes learning information I didn't even know was on the board!

Comment

• acelungger

A Big Thanks to all!!!
                  David, thanks for the link to the Hide, I am a member but there is so much to read on there I get lost. thanks to you giving me that link, I did a search and read all 5 chapters! Yes a lot of it all have known since the 70's, but I have been searching for a understanable desciption of The Node, and it was there on Chapter 4.
                  Thanks again!
                  Greg

Comment

You can download the Ramshot Powder reloading guide here.

Also the Hodgdon Manual on line: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X