Ok, so I am not real smart.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so I am not real smart.....

Everyone raise your hand if you have ever loaded a piece of brass with the primer upside down. Yes, I was not paying attention, and loaded a new piece of Lapua brass with an upside down primer. I am too cheap to throw the brass away and not smart enough to think of an easy way to get the primer out safely. I thought I might sit the brass in some type of fluid solution like baking soda and let the fluid make the primer inert so I can remove the primer with the de-priming die. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I put any live primer cases in a coffee can of water over night and make sure no air bubbles are in the case and De-prime them the next day . I have done this more times than I like to admit without any problems. Make sure your wearing safety glasses.

Comment

• ericv
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

My hand is up but I was too chicken to remove the primer. I did a really stupid thing when I was a kid with a shotgun shell primer and I still have the hole in my pinky to remind me.
      Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
      www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies, tonight the brass will pretend it is a submarine and will stay submerged for the night. Knowing I am not the only one out there that has done this has made my evening.
        Thanks again,
        Trapper

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I always managed to catch it before I did it, but I've come close many times. I have seen plenty of factory rounds from Remington, Federal, and one or two others that made it out of the factory that way.

It happens eventually to just about everyone.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

OMG, they need to license the folks that buy presses !!!! This can't be real.... OMG !!! Trapper, you need to buy factory ammo.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 12-01-2011, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• StoneTower

Oil is much better at rendering a primer inert than water is.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                OMG, they need to license the folks that buy presses !!!! This can't be real.... OMG !!! Trapper, you need to buy factory ammo.
                Just a matter of time.....It will happen to you. I've never talked with a reloader who has reloaded for any significant length of time who won't admit it happens. It happens to factory ammo, too.

A friend of mine actually didn't notice it and detonated one in his .Win Mag, a factory load. To hear him tell the story is one of the funniest gun stories I've ever heard. No one was hurt, but there were some surprised expressions, I guess!

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                  Oil is much better at rendering a primer inert than water is.
                  Just spray it with WD-40. It should instantly disolve the primer and your fingerprints, based on all the scary articles you read. Or worse, store it in the box with a set of Lee Grendel dies. It will render it inert, incapable of accuracy. And will give you bad breath to boot!

But seriously, I suspect WD-40 would do the job and penetrates enough it would not take much.

Even if it did fire, most presses divert the gas. Wear safety glasses & be gentle.

Then again, I set primers as a kid with a hammer in a Lee handloader. One out of 50 or so would go off. I loaded a couple of boxes of .38/.357 every week in the summer with that thing. And still keep a couple around for nostalgia. (But I could load ammo with one even now)

I also had a dummy grenade drilled to accept shotgun primers to make a bang. Had lot's of fun with that at college. And one visit from the campus police that was awkward for a bit. (But turned out OK)

So I'm probably just lucky and you should be safer than I was at 13!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yeah, actually were it me (Me load a primer upside down?LOL :P)....

IF you have a regular old setup where the spent primer just drops through a cutout in your ram and falls into a little open topped plastic tray--

THEN-- With safety glasses on and your spent primers emptied--- stand to the side a bit and decap as you would a normal spent round. It's upside down, if it even were to go off while decapping it'll just be kinda like a blank round exhausting through your spent primer cutout. No biggie at all really.

IF- you have some kind of fancy shmancy enclosed spent primer collection system (like a drop tube feeding into a jar)... Then disregard the above. You'd need to disconnect your drop system.
                    Last edited by Variable; 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

It takes longer to kill a primer than you think. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/killprimers.shtml .

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I've used WD-40 on federal primers to make inert rounds.

I've also removed a couple backwards live primers just by punching them out (had an issue with a progressive press). Only one went off but it was no big deal on my rock chucker. The flash just vented through the spent primer slot. I did have eye and ear protection on though.
                        Last edited by txgunner00; 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM.
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I'd venture to say that by putting the primer in upside down, you busted up the disk of primer material because the anvil was slowly pushed against the underside of the priming material. I also say that if you were to put the cases back into your press and decapped them, you would be moving so slow that the primer probably wouldn't go off anyway (even if it could) because the anvil would not have a solid surface (like the inside of the primer pocket) to push against and you just wouldn't get the desired affect. Lastly, even if the primer went off, all the force would be directed down and out of the shell holder. None of the force would go up and into the reloading die. The results would be amusing, but not dangerous.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I haven't been reloading long, but I've messed up a couple. Not sure what to do, I threw some away early on. The last batch I failed to completely ream the pockets on some military brass. The primer casing on a few curled out, leaving a sharp protrusion. Since they were right side up, I dropped them in the rifle and fired the primers.

Thus, my recommendation: however you treat the primers before hand, when it comes time to decap wear eye AND ear protection. Primers make a much louder pop than I figured enclosed in a mostly empty garage.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TxAggie94 View Post
                              I haven't been reloading long, but I've messed up a couple. Not sure what to do, I threw some away early on. The last batch I failed to completely ream the pockets on some military brass. The primer casing on a few curled out, leaving a sharp protrusion. Since they were right side up, I dropped them in the rifle and fired the primers.

Thus, my recommendation: however you treat the primers before hand, when it comes time to decap wear eye AND ear protection. Primers make a much louder pop than I figured enclosed in a mostly empty garage.
                              True that! Pretty sharp and loud bang, more than I expected, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X