X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rprecision

Hoping to learn about the 6.5 G

Hello,

I am in the learning stage of the 6.5G. I am considering a 6.5 build but am not sure yet if its a good match for me.

Nice forum, lots to read and learn

Welcome to the forum! Can't find a better place to get answers to your question!

To help the folks who will probably give more informed answers than me, can you describe what style of shooting you want to use your Grendel for?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome, this is the place to find out about the Grendel, Define your intended use and you'll get good of advice on set-up.

Comment

• Rprecision

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Depending on your budget:

Alexander Arms AWS with 19.5 inch Shilen barrel.

or

AA 20" GSR or GDMR's, which come with cut rifled barrels.

5.56 cans won't work, 6.5 is too big, but .308 or 6.8 cans work just fine if you don't want to buy a designated 6.5 can. Most guys run .308 cans. No significant issues running suppressed, in fact one of the members here, Variable, runs his rifles ONLY suppressed, I think. As is typical for suppressed rifles, they run dirtier.

NO problems with mags at this point, apart from lips needing a bit of tweaking if they get dinged, which is the same as any and all metal AR mags. Ammo isn't bad, Hornady's 123 AMAX is a match load and available for less than 20 bucks, and Wolf MPT is cheaper, with steel case on the way.

It's an AR, sometimes feeding issues happen, but those are few and far between if you purchase for AA or JP or others of the reputable builders.

For what you are talking about, the Grendel is the choice.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Welcome, RP, good to have ya! I note that Denver beat my Vikings today. I think we all know it was Pure Luck.

John
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• RangerRick

Comment

Welcome. Your requirements are what led me to the Grendel, since I have owned at least 5 different AR10's, and currently own one in .260 Rem, which is a great rifle for distance work, but is too heavy to carry around for much of anything.

A lot of guys have had good results with 18" guns out to 800yds. David Fortier reports good results at that distance with his 16" Grendel even, but I think of my 16" Grendel as a 600yd gun. We'll see as I play with it more at distance. There are guys on here with the basic SPR/suppressed configuration you describe, and love them.

The 5, 10, and 25rd mags work fine, but the 17rd mags seem to have issues if you load more than 5 rounds in them. I can't think of another cartridge in the AR15 platform that fits the bill more for you really, which is why the Grendel is steaming ahead with more and more popularity. Is it a competitive cartridge against faster 6.5's at 1000yds like the .260 Rem? Not really, but it weighs and recoils much less, and will still closely match most .308 trajectories unless you break out a custom 30" F-class .308. My 16" Grendel with optics is 7.4lbs.

Comment

Working...
                  X