non-grendel reloading question...... recommendation for .45 ACP die set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-grendel reloading question...... recommendation for .45 ACP die set

Can someone of you recommend a nice die set for .45ACP reloading? I've got several hundred .45 cases and 600 Hornady FTX bullets (free with my Hornady reloading gear.) It's time to do some .45 loading, and I figured some of you might have some expert advice for me.

thanks, in advance!
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
    Can someone of you recommend a nice die set for .45ACP reloading? I've got several hundred .45 cases and 600 Hornady FTX bullets (free with my Hornady reloading gear.) It's time to do some .45 loading, and I figured some of you might have some expert advice for me.

thanks, in advance!
    Hmmmm....do you have load data for that, because I thought the FTX was too long for the ACP and was designed for the .45 Colt.

Comment

my bad.....I meant XTP; they are 185 gn XTPs. It's like alphabet soup with all of hornady's bullet lineups.

ftx, xtp, amax, hap, sst, etc.

Comment

I would honestly go with Hornady... They make great dies. RCBS would be my next choice.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
          my bad.....I meant XTP; they are 185 gn XTPs. It's like alphabet soup with all of hornady's bullet lineups.

ftx, xtp, amax, hap, sst, etc.
          Actually, I was hoping! I love the FTX line! I can hardly wait until they release the bullets in their Critical Defense line up!

Comment

I recommend a carbide sizing die if they're within your budget. They're very resistant to scratching, and you don't have to lube the cases for the resizing operation. I like them and now have carbide dies for almost all of my pistol cartridges. Alternatively, TiN coated dies could be as good, although I have no personal experience with them.

I also like the Dillon 45 ACP seating die. The seating stem can be switched around for round nose or SWC bullets. You can remove the upper die assembly without removing the whole die from the press and clean it or swap ends for the seating stem. If you load a lot of lead bullets it's very convenient to be able to easily clean the seater. Lead shavings tend to accumulate in there.

Comment

Originally posted by tony549 View Post
              Alternatively, TiN coated dies could be as good, although I have no personal experience with them.
              Who makes those? I thought Hornady made some, but I can't find any info on Titanium Nitride dies on their site.

Comment

I have had good luck with both Hornady and RCBS, but of late I have been using more Hornady. Hornady uses Titanium Nitride instead of carbide for the sizing die.

Comment

I use Dillon dies because the case color matches the color of my press (grin). Hornady makes a very good .45 die set.

Comment

I ended up getting the hornady dies.

Comment

I have a set of Lee carbide dies and they work great.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
                        I would honestly go with Hornady... They make great dies. RCBS would be my next choice.
                        +1 on the Hornady. Lee makes a nice set too.

Comment

Dillon Carbide, they are the best, especially if you have or ever move to a progressive press, they have a more beveled entrance to the die which helps out of align cases align rather than crash into the die. But they cost more, as always seems to be the case. Hornady, RCBS, Redding and others make fine dies as well but the Dillon is a cut above and are worth the extra if you plan to do significant reloading.
                          Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X