Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die recommendations

Hi all
    Been playing with the Grendel a little while now and not to keen on the Lee dies!
    Just wondering what everyone ells uses. I am using Lapua cases and Lapua scenar 123 grn
    I will be doing most of my loading in a Dillon 550 press
  • Greyfox
    Bloodstained
    • May 2011

I have both Forester and Hornady dies.Both are excellent dies.The Forester dies come with the right size decaping pin for Lapua brass. The Hornady has two different sized pins included with there dies. I reload mostly for 600 yard match shooting.

I do not recomend Lee dies for the Grendel. I have a Lee sizer die that I bought to form 7.62x39 brass into 6.5 Grendel for Deer hunting brass. Doing this was a total waste of my time and money.

Alexander Arms had there brass at $55.00 per hundred cases. Same brass but cheaper than Lapua. I have bought both and they are the same brass.

I really like the Sierra 107gr bullet with IMR 8208XBR powder. I think Lapua makes an 108gr bullet.You might be suprized at how accurate the 108gr bullet can be.

Greyfox

Comment

I have Hornady, RCBS and Redding for different calibers. I personally prefer RCBS and Redding. All my reloading gear is RCBS. My Grendel dies are Redding dies. I really like the way they work. All pros, no cons with the Redding dies.

Lee will get the job done, but is the cheapest made dies. RCBS, Hornady and Dillon are your mid range. Redding and Froester dies are a little higher end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
        I have Hornady, RCBS and Redding for different calibers. I personally prefer RCBS and Redding. All my reloading gear is RCBS. My Grendel dies are Redding dies. I really like the way they work. All pros, no cons with the Redding dies.

Lee will get the job done, but is the cheapest made dies. RCBS, Hornady and Dillon are your mid range. Redding and Froester dies are a little higher end.
        I agree with Mutt's assessment. I use the same type setup for loading 6.5, .223, .308 and .30-06.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Retooferab

I only use Redding dies.

Comment

• vanguard138

I'll give a second on the Redding dies.

Comment

I use the Forester Competion dies . They work GREAT.

Comment

I must be the oddball here; lately I have been buying mostly Hornady dies.

Comment

• guncollector

+1 on the Redding dies. They are great dies. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

• skyfish
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

No Jamie, your not the only oddball. I've been buying mostly Hornady as well. I use their standard dies for the Grendel. Been thinking of calling them to see if they will make a "match" bushing sizer in the Grendel. They do in a few other like 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 and 223(a 6mm too). Very nice die, and about half price of the Redding bushing style.

Comment

• acelungger

Never had 1 problem with RCBS dies in 30 years of reloading, never had Lee dies untill I put together my 243WSSM and I just made a big mistake and bought Lee and I hate them!
                      Going to up grade as soon as I get some stuff sold.
                      Greg

Comment

Hi all
                        And thanks for all the replies but what I am looking for is dies used to reload Grendel only and not never had a problem with! I am looking for exact dies, part numbers, makes and results. We can all load ammo with any dies and I used lee dies for loading .357/38 for years. But loading for accuracy on the Grendel is a completely different field.

Comment

I have the Hornady dies part # 546291 and have never had a problem. I also purchased a Forster seating die because it has a micrometer built into the die for adjusting depth of bullet easier, part # 006017. You could just purchase the Forester set # U04357. These will resize and load with no problems. Now for accuracy you will need to get Hornady "Ammunition Concentricity Guage" part # 850076. This guage will show if the seated bullet has any runout and you can correct with this tool.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrit69 View Post
                            Hi all
                            And thanks for all the replies but what I am looking for is dies used to reload Grendel only and not never had a problem with! I am looking for exact dies, part numbers, makes and results. We can all load ammo with any dies and I used lee dies for loading .357/38 for years. But loading for accuracy on the Grendel is a completely different field.
                            I have the Forster Competition set for 6.5 Grendel and RCBS also.
                            Folks here have given you their opinion of companies and dies based on their experience with them. Go to any of the top die manufacturers- Redding, RCBS or Forster and get a set of Competition dies. They will all do what you want from them.

Comment

• ericv
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2011

I have not started reloading for the Grendel yet but I'm wondering what about the Lee dies is not satisfactory? I am planning on buying the Hornaday set but all my other sets are Lee and so far I am happy with them. I may have to buy more dies!!
                              Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                              www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

Working...
                              X