139 and 140 grainers out an 18 in barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 139 and 140 grainers out an 18 in barrel

I am looking at an 18 in barrel at midway and need to know if its long enough for 139 @140 grain bullets. i have alot of them i can load.

Can be done versus should be done. They shoot, accurately too, but they're at the top end of the comfort zone for the Grendel IMHO. Free bullets are free bullets though and trigger time has it's worth. If they're quality 140s, consider selling them and buying some lighter bullets with the money. Can you be more specific about your expectations?

Hoot

Comment

well i have a rem 721 in 30/06 and i have a rem 700 in 270 win i was going to build either a 6.5 284 or 6.5/06.but first of all i want to build a ar rifle so when i heard about 6.5 grendel i thought this might be duable so thats where i am at this time

Comment

The 6.5/06 is a great caliber. Thats a caliber that makes use of its lenght to proberly propel 140-160 gr bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by zoner1957 View Post
          well i have a rem 721 in 30/06 and i have a rem 700 in 270 win i was going to build either a 6.5 284 or 6.5/06.but first of all i want to build a ar rifle so when i heard about 6.5 grendel i thought this might be duable so thats where i am at this time
          Keep in mind that the AR15 standard magazine (un-modded) has a specific maximum cartridge overall length limit. This is irregardless of the barrel. Heavier bullets need more powder to reach the same velocity as lighter bullets, while at the same time robbing powder capacity from the case due to them being longer and in order to fit in the magazine, more of the heavier bullet is seated inside the case. That's why I asked you what your expectations were for this caliber. If you do not mind losing some velocity to accommodate the 140gr bullet, it is quite do-able, but the caliber really shines brighter with lighter bullets such as the 100-123 gr ones.

I have experimented with a handful of calibers in the AR15 platform and IMHO, the 6.5 Grendel is the best performing caliber in an off-the-shelf barrel, that I have experienced with it. I also am running an AR Stoner barrel on mine, but the 24". Out of the box, it threw 5-shot groups at 100 yards, the size of my pinky fingernail, if I hold up my end, and at velocities I felt comfortable taking deer hunting this year. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to shoot a deer with it, but plenty of other members here have.

When acquaintances ask me about getting their first AR15 based rifle and they aren't dead set on just .223/5.56, my advice to them is to get one in 6.5 Grendel.

Hoot

Comment

Those heavy bullets will do fine as long as they are ones that have been shown to work in the Grendel. Some 140+ grain bullets seem to have noses that are a little long for magazine length loading.

As far as shooting them is concerned, remember the velocity you will likely get is less than 2200 ft/sec. That velocity is good enough for casual plinking, and can be reasonably close to line-of sight out to about 150 yards (think 30-30).

Should you be interested in practicing setting elevation for each shot with a tactical turret, these will give you practice!

Regarding hunting, the minimum recommended impact velocity for some of these bullets is rather close to the muzzle velocity, so performance on game out past 100-150 yards may not be what you would like.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Heavy bullets can work, but bullets in the 120gr to 123gr class are a better fit for the 6.5 Grendel.
              Drifter

Comment

While an 18 inch barrel will yield lower velocities, Here's a link to my range report from this past summer for the 140gr Amax. I'm sure there are other, possibly faster powders than the one I used and no doubt better accuracy, since I was experimenting mainly for velocity, but it'll give you an idea of what to expect. That same powder is what I loaded for deer season, but behind the 123 Amax. It kicks them out of my barrel at 2613fps average. That powder is spec'd from -20 to +140F with only a 20-25fps variation, so it's ideal for hunting where it gets cold during deer season, using loads worked up under more comfortable conditions.

Hoot
                Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X