Looking for some info and some loading data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acelungger

Looking for some info and some loading data?

Hi Folks,
    I have done a bit of Grendel research and I believe that I an going to use the 123gr smk , and I have H335,H4895,and IMR 4064. I am in hopes of using one of those powders because I have them, if I have to buy one of the modern powders I hope I can get one that will work with my 243WSSM and as bad as I hate to say it, I don't have it shooting as I would like?
    How flat does the 123's shoot? Am I wrong in what I think I read and that would be that the 123gr bullet was basicly made for the 6.5 Grendel?
    I would be great full for any advice.
    Greg

H335 would be a great choice. Hodgdon list loads for it in the Grendel on the reloading page. Actually they list a load for the 123 HPBT, which I assume to be synonymous with the Matchking.

-courtesy Hodgdon

123 GR. SIE HPBT H335 COL 2.250" Start 26.0gr = Vel 2288fps @ 37,800 PSI Max 28.7gr = Vel 2508fps 49,800 PSI

I believe those velocities are based upon a 24" barrel though.

Hoot

Comment

• acelungger

Thanks Hoot!!
      That will get me a start, and that is what I was looking for. Like I said I will never shoot comp. all I will ever do is shoot paper and I don't do much of that! I like putting AR's together and making them shoot as good as I can. Back in my hunting days I had a good friend that hunted with me, now if I go out to shoot it is just me, and not as enjoyable as with some one else, so if my back feels decent I go shoot, I have to find a place where I can leave everything set up, so all I have to do is staple new targets and set my chrony and spotting scope and of course my shooting rest and the sand bags, and start shooting, and when I am done I don't have so much to load up.
      Thanks again!
      Greg

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Ace I think if you are trying to find a powder that will work in both guns you may not get the best performance you seek. The WSSM will prefer a powder that way too slow for the Grendel. With the Grendel you will get good results with H335, but there are some other ball powders and some extruded powders that are a little slower that will give you a little more performance. Reading the posts here you can see what others have tried and a lot have given excellent posts (Hoot is one of the best) with useful data. The 123 SMK was around before the Grendel it is the Hornady 123 that was designed for the Grendel. The key to flat shooting is velocity and ballistic coefficient.

Comment

Working...
        X