Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

neck turning

was just wondering if anyone here turns the necks of your grendel? and if you have seen any gains from it. and is it even worth doing thanks
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Neck turning is generally of benefit only in tight necked target chambers, and is not necessary in AR's, except for the very rare tight chambered target rifle.

Comment

• jwilson1985

thanks bill

Comment

You still get some benefit from neck turning even on chambers that are on the tight side of specs, but not a "tight neck". You just turn them enough to "clean up" the neck and don't turn them down much. However, in an autoloader, the case gets beat up on ejection and depending where you're shooting you don't find every case, so the time involved in turning necks seems like an exercise in futility.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

Let me know if im wrong please, im still learning LOL.

wouldnt the best benefit of neck turning be from neck sizing brass? after x amounts of firings is it the brass flowing causing the necks to need turning down? or does a FL sizing cause the brass to flow in the same manner?

neck turning is an aspect of reloading i have yet to get into

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by PumpActionJackson View Post
            Let me know if im wrong please, im still learning LOL.

wouldnt the best benefit of neck turning be from neck sizing brass? after x amounts of firings is it the brass flowing causing the necks to need turning down? or does a FL sizing cause the brass to flow in the same manner?

neck turning is an aspect of reloading i have yet to get into
            i havent got into it ether.but i understood that it was to uniform them after they were loaded.

Comment

Neck turning is done before you load. You turn the outside of the neck on a mandrel so that the necks are exactly the same thickness all the way around. Then you size the necks with a neck bushing. The idea is to get consistent neck tension and perfectly cocentric. If you turn too much, when the necks expand upon firing, they expand too much and work the brass excessively. That is the reason for tight necks, so you can turn the necks down and not work the brass too much. That way your brass lasts a long time. If you have a chamber on the small side of specs and turn the necks just enough to clean them up and don't them too much, you do get some benefit in a regular chamber.

Comment

• jwilson1985

thanks for clearing that up blackfoot.ive been reloading for 2 years now but still have lots to learn

Comment

Working...
                X