So I found load data now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I found load data now what?

I found load data but I'm still a tad bit worried. RE-15 and 123 A-Max. So I'll stop beating around the bush and get to my question. Should I start with 27.5 gr and work my way up or just go with the 29.5 that is shown in the data below?

reloadersnest.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, reloadersnest.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Pick a modest range the first outing, like 100 yards. If you have your technique, bench setup and the scope dialed in, if it were my first foray with those hand loading components, I'd load 3 rounds of 27.5-29.5 in half grain steps, shoot them round robin and see what the rig likes and then go home and load more in the vicinity of the most consistent group from the first outing. Lets say that 28.5 had the most consistency. Load 28.2, .4, .6, .8 and re-run the test. If the range is not convenient or range time is hard to come by, then start off with the entire range from 27.5-29.5 in .2 gr increments. If you don't feel like your technique and bench setup are stable and repeatable, testing loads will be as much a reflection of you learning to deliver the shots as the variation of the hand load components and amount to no more than "trigger time". If that's the case, load up steps with more rounds per step, but still shoot them round robin, so your results are not skewed by the luck of a good group intermixed with not-so-good ones. The cream will rise to the top all on it's own.

That's my approach, but then I consider myself a mediocre shooter, who enjoys dinking with reload recipes as much, if not more than the actual shooting.

Hoot

Comment

K_labs, The load you identified is mine. It is the most accurate load in my rifle and I use it all the time for iron sight and scoped groundhog shoots. Hoot is right on the money as to how to work up a load. You have not said what components and equipment you are using. I shot it yesterday at 32 degrees and at
      90 degrees last summer with the same results. The velocity is 2507 out of a 24" barrel verified with a CM2 at 12' from muzzle. I can tell you that Alliant powders require small steps to find the sweet spot. By the way, I shot the AR-comp load that Hoot discovered 28.5gr under the 123amax, also. Re-15 is almost identical to Ar-comp only you need about a grain less of Ar-comp to achieve the same velocity.
      Rich Wright

Comment

If you are new to reloading, go through your reloading manuals and read about establishing reloading procedures to ensure you get a consistent final product(your reloaded rounds). When shooting for groups, every round shot for that group has to be as close to identical as possible. Your trying to eliminate variables so you can compare apples to apples.
        As far as where to start, the golden rule is always start low and work up to maximum loads listed. When shooting watch for signs of high pressure, signs of high pressure should also be given in your reloading manual, if not find one. Reloading is about attention to detail, read-up, ask question and practice, practice, practice.

Comment

I've been reloading and practicing with my .308 bolt gun for quite a while. I don't get out to the range as much as I should but I feel like I make up for it with dry firing. I work on my fundamentals once a week for about 5 or 10 mins.

As far as reloading ive been doing it for about 2 year now. The only crimping I have done so far is on pistol rounds. I'm going to pick up the redding s comp set this week.

I just bought it so here the add: Vltor SPR Upper - 6.5 Grendel 18" Alexander Arms Button barrel - Vltor VIS 2 Monolithic upper, Vltor Flip up front sight gas block, , Magpul AFG, AAC Blackout Flash hider and one C-products 6.5 10 round magazine. Complete Lower, Scope, mount and BAD lever shown not included. I have not shot this, but previous owner stated Sub-MOA using 123 grain ammo. Round Count is 250 or less. Asking $1200 SOLD obo. Paid $1k for it.

My lower is a stag with a RRA 2 stage match trigger w/ JP springs. I could be wrong. I don't remember they r the yellow ones. It feels 100% better than my stock trigger.

Comment

I just got a reply from the tech department at horandy!

Matt, for the 6.5 Grendel with the 123 Amax and RL-15: 26.7gr - 29.0gr.* COL: 2.245”* primer: WSR.* Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X