Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cornholio1

TTSX OAL - Ogive Issue

As many of you may know the Vmax has an weird ogive making it necessary to seat it deeper than the manual says (verified by Bill Alexander himself).

I believe the 120gr TTSX may have the same problem. My OAL gauge is telling me a Grendel case with a 120gr TTSX should be seated at LEAST 20thousands shorter than 2.113 = 2.093!!! Thats friggin short!

Anybody else have issues with this?

Right our wrong iload to mag length, its always worked.4years now..

Comment

• rasp65
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

What are you using for an OAL gauge? I remember someone on the old site complaining about the length of TTSX bullets and pulling off the plastic tip so as not to loose powder space. I use the TSX and at mag length they are off the lands by more than .015".

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
        What are you using for an OAL gauge? I remember someone on the old site complaining about the length of TTSX bullets and pulling off the plastic tip so as not to loose powder space. I use the TSX and at mag length they are off the lands by more than .015".
        I found a problem with my OAL gauge. Apparently the Grendel modified case won't take 120 gr bullets, which is stupid. I tried to use some tape to hold her still and not screwing the case gauge in so far. I have a call into Hornady to resolve it.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cornholio1 View Post
          I found a problem with my OAL gauge. Apparently the Grendel modified case won't take 120 gr bullets, which is stupid. I tried to use some tape to hold her still and not screwing the case gauge in so far. I have a call into Hornady to resolve it.
          Hmmmm? I'm confused!

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

120g AMAX bullets have to be seated so deeply due to their ogive that they are largely unusable. Which is why Hornady came out with the 123g. It would not surprise me that other bullets have the same issue.

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              Hmmmm? I'm confused!

Basically my assumption that the TTSX needed to be seated deep was unsubstantiated. I cannot confirm. I tried using my OAL tool, but the 120 gr TTSX was too long for the tool.

The tool is fitted with a dummy Grendel case on the end of which a bullet sides effortlessly into the case mouth.

The standard practice is to screw the dummy case in, then stick a bullet in the case mouth. The bullet drops down near the bottom of the case. You then insert the tool into the rifle's chamber, and push the wire attachment (which in turn pushes the bullet outwards) until it touches the lands. Set the setscrew for the wire and pull the tool out.

You can then measure the OAL of the catridge.

The problem I have is the bullet is too long for the gauge. It won't seat deep enough to take a measurement, so I tired to use tape and rig it so the dummy case sits further out.

Comment

• longdayjake

I have shot the 120 TTSX some. I have found that there are no ogive issues with it. The downside to it is that it is longer than most 120 grain bullets because it is pure copper. That means less powder and less velocity than lead core 120's. When the 100 grain ttsx came out that problem was fixed. I get AMAZING results from the 100 grainer.

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
                  I have shot the 120 TTSX some. I have found that there are no ogive issues with it. The downside to it is that it is longer than most 120 grain bullets because it is pure copper. That means less powder and less velocity than lead core 120's. When the 100 grain ttsx came out that problem was fixed. I get AMAZING results from the 100 grainer.
                  Gotcha. Guess I can save my two boxes for my 260.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
                    Have you tried the 100gr TTSX with H335?

Comment

If your OAL gauge is like mine, lose the plastic rod inside of it. The set screw leaves scars on the plastic. I replaced mine with a brass rod and ground the flat area just like the plastic one. You can get brass rod stock at any hobby store. Then, you'll have a more accurate setup and you can adjust the dimensions to accommodate any particular bullet length. It's less than a one evening job.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                        If your OAL gauge is like mine, lose the plastic rod inside of it. The set screw leaves scars on the plastic. .

Hoot
                        Interesting, Mine has a brass spring for the inside rod, almost like a large guitar string. I have had mine for quite awhile, maybe when Hornady took over they switched to a cheaper plastic rod.

Comment

"There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper"
                          -John Rushkin-

Hoot

Comment

• longdayjake

h335 is a slower powder. You will most likely be able to get good velocities out of it, but I think that 2230 is better.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by CoolBarrelBill View Post
                              Hello All, Here is some of the data that I had posted on the old site before the crash. I thought that repeating it here might be useful. These loads were safe in my rifle, but please work up to the max loads to ensure your own safety. All of the loads were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS

Best
                              - PA

Comment

Working...
                              X