AA 123 lapua vs 123 hornady amax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA 123 lapua vs 123 hornady amax

I would expect that the AA ammo with the 123 lapua bullet would be more accurate and drop less than the Amax round, but have found the opposite to be the case. At 600 the hornady was hitting 12" higher than the AA rounds with the same scope settings, and grouped a bit tighter as well. Has anyone else noticed this to be the case?

what kind of average group size are you getting and out of what length barrel ?

Thanks
    Smoke

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The trajectories of the 123gr A-max and 123gr Lapua Scenar are virtually identical out to 600 yards when launched at the same velocity and properly sighted in at the same distance. (The Scenar's drop at 600 is actually ~0.6" less than the A-max if both bullets are sighted in for 200 yards with a muzzle velocity of ~2500 fps.)

Check the JBM Ballistics website for very realistic data.

If your barrel shows a preference for the A-max, then that load is certainly a wise choice. But the Scenar is in no way ballistically inferior to the A-max at 600 yards.
      Last edited by Drifter; 12-16-2011, 09:55 PM.
      Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

The factory Hornady load is hotter, though, than the factory Scenar load, so additional drop might be expected.

Also, the Hornady is a slightly different bullet, with the Scenar closer to a VLD design, and in my experience the Scenar likes to be closer to the lands. The Hornady is easier to load and shoot well.

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

With the factory loads that I've run through the chronograph, the AA load has always been a little faster than the Hornady through several different barrels. YMMV...
          Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            With the factory loads that I've run through the chronograph, the AA load has always been a little faster than the Hornady through several different barrels. YMMV...
            Interesting . The Scenar has a decided ballistic advantage and I would expect it to have less drop than the Amax.

Zero both at 100, then shoot at 600 off the 100 yard zeros and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke View Post
              what kind of average group size are you getting and out of what length barrel ?

Thanks
              Smoke
              Satern 24" heavy fluted bbl JP, adjustable gas block, JP large Coolie comp

5 shot groups:
              Amax .3-.6 moa at 100-300
              AA .75 moa at 100-300 consistently

One thing that i noticed that could contribute to an accuracy difference. When ejecting live rounds, on the Lapua bullets, the tips were slightly dented, and the amax bullets were not, probably because of the polymer tip.

Comment

Working...
              X