• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sojorboy
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

ammo selection

Well, the time draws nigh, I will soon have my new Grendel. Now I need to purchase some ammo. I'm fairly new to rifles, been a wing shooter for most of my hunting activities, so i never got into reloading. I was wondering what factory ammo would be best for hunting whitetail/hogs ? I also need a good round for a little friendly time with the boys at the range. Maxium shooting distance at the range is 300 yards and I don't plan on taking any game beyond that distance. What factory ammo would you guys suggest for each application ? Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Sojorboy; 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM.

Look through the "6.5 Grendel Hunting and Varminting" forum for lots of good discussions.

From what I've seen, either the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or the 123 gr Hornady AMAX would do well. The Nosler is good for both hunting and for your range time. Hornady does not recommend AMAX for deer or hogs, but folks have used it.

A lot of us are waiting with mixed levels of patience for the Wolf Steel Case. That stuff will likely be the ticket for your informal shooting, but we'll need to see how good the stuff is for target and long range varmint shooting. I would be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to have utility for deer and hogs too.

Comment

There is only 1 "real" factory ammo selection and that is from Hornady. It is accurate and great for hunting. Both Alaxander Arms and Percision Firearms make a lot of "semi factory" type loads. I like the 115gr HBPT Berger load from AA, its accurate and works on deer. Percision Firearms also loads up a lot of ammo in the 120-130 gr range ( a max and BT)which is where you want to be if you are hunting.

Comment

Working...
      X