• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

PRI 6.8 mags for 6.5 Grendel / longer COL

Currently testing the waters of the Grendel, and discovered that my PRI 6.8 SPC 15rd mags work with the 6.5 Grendel. I didn't test at full capacity, as I loaded only a few rounds. But function was flawless.

PRI mags allow 2.300" COL for the 6.8, and I assume that similar length could be used with the 6.5 G cartridge.

Anyone experimented with particular 6.5 bullets loaded longer than "standard"? Is their an optimum COL for the common bullets used with the Grendel chamber (without regard to normal magazine length restrictions)?

Just trying to possibly shorten my learning curve if others have already been down this path.

Any feedback would be appreciated. -Thanks
    Drifter

I think that's the same as the c-products. Mine measure 2.305 and the walls are formed out of .020 steel. But it is good news that they feed out of the 6.8 mags. Is there any difference you can see in the follower, or will a c-products/AA follower fit in the PRI mag?

Comment

I've shot grendel rounds out of 556 mags, both standard gi and pmag. Feed and function are just fine. I was running factory 123gr amax ammo in it. I haven't even really begun to play with overall length yet!

Comment

I just started looking into longer COAL in my .264 LBC bbl. I found the rifling began just .015" beyond a COAL of 2.260 with the 140HPBT Sierra. It seems every gun is its own rule, and you need to find what the gun likes, but I find best accuracy is usually a small jump to the rifling.
        I started the task thinking I would be loading very long and making a single shot for extreme range. It pleased me to find out that COAL will likely be most accurate in a length I can load thru the mag.
        Next step is to load at some different COALs and see where the best accuracy falls in.

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalj View Post
          I've shot grendel rounds out of 556 mags, both standard gi and pmag. Feed and function are just fine. I was running factory 123gr amax ammo in it. I haven't even really begun to play with overall length yet!
          Have you tried them to full capacity?

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Originally posted by ctrmass View Post
            Have you tried them to full capacity?
            +1. Would like to know how they work at full capacity and how many fit aswell.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

They won't work at full capacity at all. He couldn't have tried more than a couple of rounds, or they wouldn't have worked.

ETA: I was referring to 5.56 mags only, and not PRI 6.8 mags with which I have no experience.
              Last edited by Variable; 06-11-2012, 02:56 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity...
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

@ Drifter

Have you found the practical Grendel capacity of your PRI mag?
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  They won't work at full capacity at all. He couldn't have tried more than a couple of rounds, or they wouldn't have worked.
                  I think three is all I could ever get to reliably work. Any more, and they bulge and jam.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Would this hold for the 10 rd / 5 rd magazine as well?

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      Have you found the practical Grendel capacity of your PRI mag?
                      Not sure that it matters, but I changed the follower to a blue 6.5 version. My PRI's will squeeze in 14 Grendel rounds, but it's tight after 12, and best reliability is with 8 or less.

I think I remember seeing a recommended modification to the follower somewhere to increase reliable capacity, but don't remember exactly what it was or where I saw it. Spring might could use a mod too.

Also, my 15rd PRI's are 1st-generation with smooth sides and military-style florrplates. Current 3rd-gen waffle mags might be better or worse. My 1st-gen 20rd PRI's don't work well with the Grendel.

Whether testing 6.8, 5.56, or even 6.5 mags, realize that reliability at the bench doesn't necessarily translate to reliability in the field. Test thoroughly in a variety of scenarios if reliability is important.
                      Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                        Not sure that it matters, but I changed the follower to a blue 6.5 version.
                        I'm primarily interested in the 5 round mag for legal hunting of game animals. Did you pirate the blue follower from a C-Products/AA magazine?

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                          I'm primarily interested in the 5 round mag for legal hunting of game animals. Did you pirate the blue follower from a C-Products/AA magazine?
                          Yes on the follower.

The PRI 5rd would probably be fine as is for the Grendel, but that's just my own speculation based on using the 15rd PRI.
                          Drifter

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Those PRI mags do look interesting. If they weren't priced so dearly I'd grab a few to try out. As is, I'd never buy a full stash of them though. They'd break the bank.

I edited my earlier post to hopefully avoid any confusion. When I was referring to bulged mags I meant the 5.56 ones. I've never tried a PRI mag.
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Found what I was thinking of previously...

There's some info on this link regarding mag and follower mods for the 6mmAR (necked down Grendel), which might also work with the Grendel too:

Guide to 6mm Grendel 6mmAR for AR15 match shooters. 6mmAR upper with 2750 fps Berger bullet and .566 Ballistic Coefficient. 6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards. Match calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Gear reviews (.243 bullets, 6mm Norma, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, tools, gunsmiths. Articles for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

I'll probably try the follower mod with my 15rd PRI 6.8 mags.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X