PDA

View Full Version : Grendel magazines

yotesmoker
12-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm new to the 6.5 AR platform I know in the .223 platform there were mags that seemed to perform better than others and I'm sure its the same way with the 6.5 so could someone tell me which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. And maybe where to buy?

Hoot
12-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I would imagine you have to divide the question into high and low capacity. I have several AR Stoner 10 round mags with the blue follower and they run like clockwork. I can not speak for their high capacity one though, nor anyone else' for that matter. Basically, I found one that works for my needs and stayed with it. I'm pretty boring at restaurants as well ;)

Hoot

Grendel-Gene
12-18-2011, 11:49 PM
its not like there are a lot of different manufacturers of Grendel magazines to choose from... I think they are all made by the same company. And right now i cant find any hi-cap mags anywhere; Even AA is out... crap!!!

stanc
12-19-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm new to the 6.5 AR platform I know in the .223 platform there were mags that seemed to perform better than others and I'm sure its the same way with the 6.5 so could someone tell me which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. And maybe where to buy?
Currently there's only one manufacturer, who stamps different names on the floorplates for companies like AA, Midway.

One or more additional makers are expected to start producing Grendel mags early next year.

FYI: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?395-Grendel-mags

Mutt
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Too bad they don't make these for the Grendel. It would be worth doing modifications if it would work with the Grendel ... LOL

http://www.surefire.com/HighCapacityMagazines?utm_source=OPENX&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=2011_SnipeHide&utm_content=160x600_MAG5-60_SnipeHide

wch
12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Is it possible to use AR type 7.62x39 mags with 6.5 Grendel ammunition?

Drifter
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Possibly, but I think the same manufacturers (ASC & C-Products) are about the only current-production mag options for 7.62x39. Might as well buy the Grendel mags if that's the case, but I could be mistaken regarding 7.62x39 mag availability...

independentrider1
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
has anyone ever held a 5.56 mag next to a grendel mag for comparison? Are the physical dimensions different or are just the internals. I am currently working on building mine so I haven't purchased and Grendel mags yet. if the dimensions are the same maybe the follower can be switched out.

m796rider
12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
has anyone ever held a 5.56 mag next to a grendel mag for comparison? Are the physical dimensions different or are just the internals. I am currently working on building mine so I haven't purchased and Grendel mags yet. if the dimensions are the same maybe the follower can be switched out.

The grooves are shallower on the Grendel mags, so the followers may not swap between mag bodies. Also, aluminum 5.56 mags will just swell up as you add more Grendel rounds, becoming unusable after 5-6 rounds have been inserted - no matter what follower you have in there.

stanc
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Not practical. Because the cartridges have significantly different case taper, the magazines also differ greatly in curvature.

Opus Dei
01-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Not practical. Because the cartridges have significantly different case taper, the magazines also differ greatly in curvature.Can you use a .223 magazine with 6.5 if you underload? I have used underloaded 5.45 AK magazines in a 223 AK, and it worked fine. Just wondering if the same principle applied. Thanks.

longziz
01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I may be able to help, but I need your help first to find out for sure that this is going to work.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?1900-New-member-from-Germany

bwaites
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Can you use a .223 magazine with 6.5 if you underload? I have used underloaded 5.45 AK magazines in a 223 AK, and it worked fine. Just wondering if the same principle applied. Thanks.

Yes, some people have reported sucess with up to 5-6 rounds in 5.56 mags, but......

Opus Dei
01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, some people have reported sucess with up to 5-6 rounds in 5.56 mags, but......That few; huh. I would've figured maybe half-capacity.

taggor
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Hello all. I've been a grendel owner for quite some time and have been a member of the boards since the old site. My question is for all who have a well functioning 25 rnd magazines. When loaded to capacity (25rnds) do you find that the magazine will not drop free from the magazine well or have any of you short stacked the magazine and found that this problem doesn't exist? All of mine feed well but, all of them do not fall free when filled to capacity. Only one will fall free empty and I have spent lots of time working the magazines with the lower reciever. Perhaps I have just been unlucky. As with most, I have plenty of 10 rounders which work great.

fastpat
01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I purchased about a dozen magazines when I initially purchased/built my rifle. I tested each one to see if it would drop free when empty. Although all were made by C Products, some even from one source, only about half would readily drop free without some assistance from the operator. My opinion is that the coating on these stainless steel magazines varies in thickness and lubricity (how slick they are) quite a bit and that some of the magazines are coated too thickly. This is only a matter of a few thousandths of an inch and as the mags are used will eventually cease to be a problem as the finish wears off at contact points.

henmar77
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Am i to understand that a 223 mag will work with grendel if not at full capacity? Or was that just a maybe? Has anyone actually tried it?

noobshooter
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Negative Ghostrider. I have tried swapping out followers from a 10-rd Grendel mag and put it in a 30-rd 5.56 mag. The follower fits and moves up and down; however, as Warrior Stanc pointed out, the neck on the Grendel is larger then the 5.56. The grooves on the 5.56 mag up front are a bit deeper than the Grendel to accommodate the neck size difference.

Rainier Arms sells ASC brand 25-rd Grendel mags. They are the same size as the 5.56 30-rd mags, but you can only fit some many fat cat Grendels in the same size space.

henmar77
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I wish more magazine makers would jump on the bandwagon already. Would love to have some magpul mags. Has anyone tried modifing any 223 mags to make them work, or are they just that much different?

bwaites
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Am i to understand that a 223 mag will work with grendel if not at full capacity? Or was that just a maybe? Has anyone actually tried it?

Last question first. Yes, but not with every 5.56 mag out there. GI mags tend to work the best in my experience, but only for 5-6 rounds with any consistency. Some won't work at all, but others will allow you to go to as many as 10 rounds. Its really a crapshoot on what will and won't work. Simple solution----Buy Grendel mags!

bwaites
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I wish more magazine makers would jump on the bandwagon already. Would love to have some magpul mags. Has anyone tried modifing any 223 mags to make them work, or are they just that much different?

Polymer walls are too thick to allow good function. Unless there is some other new, miracle material used, we will be using stainless mags. Modified 223 mags, (not magpul) can be made to work, but as I said above, its a crapshoot on consistency.

henmar77
01-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Polymer walls are too thick to allow good function. Unless there is some other new, miracle material used, we will be using stainless mags. Modified 223 mags, (not magpul) can be made to work, but as I said above, its a crapshoot on consistency.

I would think that single stacking the grendel in a magul would work theoretically. FYI: Im not pretending to know anything about this, just asking the experts :)

bwaites
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I would think that single stacking the grendel in a magul would work theoretically. FYI: Im not pretending to know anything about this, just asking the experts :)

Single stack would work, EXCEPT the Grendel has dual feed ramps, so it has to feed from the right and left. The Beowulf, for example, single stacks in standard mags just fine, but it has only a central feed ramp, not dual feed ramps.

henmar77
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Single stack would work, EXCEPT the Grendel has dual feed ramps, so it has to feed from the right and left. The Beowulf, for example, single stacks in standard mags just fine, but it has only a central feed ramp, not dual feed ramps.

Does the Beowulf work in a 223 mag becuase its so big that it sits over the dual feed ramp? I thought that the width of the grendel and beowulf were the same at the base. so wouldnt the grendel single stack in a 223 just fine? I also thought that the problem was with the more with the lip design anyway?

fastpat
01-05-2012, 05:03 AM
No, .223/5.56 magazines don't single stack the Grendel, all kinds of dimensions are different.

stanc
01-08-2012, 01:02 AM
I thought that the width of the grendel and beowulf were the same at the base.
Grendel and Beowulf have the same rim diameter, but Beowulf has a bigger case diameter.

fastpat
01-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Grendel and Beowulf have the same rim diameter, but Beowulf has a bigger case diameter.Yep, known as a rebated rim diameter. The .284 Winchester case has a rebated rim.

StoneTower
01-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Yep, known as a rebated rim diameter. The .284 Winchester case has a rebated rim.

The .284 is the parent case for the .450 Bushmaster. When the cartridge was new and you could not get brass, there were guys making it out of .284 with varying results.

Tailgate
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I have read from numerous sites that the 6.8SPC mags work flawlessly in the 6.5 Grendel, and vice versa. Anyone have experience with that?

fastpat
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
The 6.8SPC magazines don't work, the feed lips are the wrong shape. The only magazines that work in the 6.5 Grendel are those made for it.

m796rider
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
The 6.8SPC magazines don't work, the feed lips are the wrong shape. The only magazines that work in the 6.5 Grendel are those made for it.

I have 20+ C-Products 6.8SPC 25 round mags that work just fine in both my Grendels... Admittedly, some of them have ISMI springs that replaced weak factory springs. No issues with the feed lips, followers, etc.

fastpat
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I dare say that no one will buy 6.8S magazines to use in a 6.5G rifle, since they cost the same or more, so unless you have both calibers and already have at least 20 magazines (ten for each rifle) and can test this, I'd advise folks to stay with magazines designed for the 6.5G cartridge.

pinzgauer
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
That few; huh. I would've figured maybe half-capacity.

I did a good bit of testing with Magpul 30 rd's and Grendel. For me they have been very reliable loaded 5-6, get hard to insert in the mag well up to 10, and get unreliable in the 10-15 round range. That's due to the thickness of the magpul walls. I have not tested, but my suspicion is that an alloy or steel mag would allow a bit more rounds, but you are really going the long way around to avoid Grendel mags.

Not recommending magpul as an alternative, just confirm the reliability (and not). It's all about the case taper and the fact that the magpul & 5.56 mags do not allow a proper double stack mag. I've posted diagrams on this in the past.

Between my brother and I we have 15-20 cprod 25 round (30 rnd format) grendel mags, and 3 17rd bought over a 2-3 year period. Just never had an issue. All have been reliable. About my biggest complaint is that a few were snug in billet receivers, about the same as a magpul is.

Hopefully ASC/Cprod will pick back up. If not, someone else will I suspect.

6.8 Barret mags are pretty, but if that was what it took to shoot grendel I'd not be fooling with it.

LRRPF52
01-23-2012, 10:34 PM
US Palm and Tango Down debuted two new 7.62x39 quad stack magazines at SHOT. If you kept the existing wall thickness of a polymer mag and then opened up the stack outside the magwell to accommodate the Grendel case, you could have a nice 30rd or even 45rd mag that is as tall as a 30rd 5.56 mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtdgRhEauTo

Things are getting interesting. Unfortunatley, Surefire 60rd 5.56 mags have proven to be unreliable as I suspected they would be. Tango Down and US Palm claim that these are actually reliable, but we'll see as we go forward.

They also had a quick barrel change AK with an interrupted thread system and a detent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83fjaMXXUM&feature=relmfu

taggor
01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know of a source for 6.5 G followers?

ss355
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know of a source for 6.5 G followers?

Unfortunately, I don't know of a source. Back in the day, C Prod had them listed on their site, and 44mag had some for a while, but I believe those are long gone. No one seems to list the polymer, blue followers with the 6.5 Grendel designation.

Has anyone tried the stainless CMMG follower in a 6.5 mag?

taggor
01-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Someone from AA had posted on AR15.com that @ the 2012 SS that there were going to be two new suppliers for Grendel magazines. Does anyone have any more information to share about this?