Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yotesmoker

Grendel magazines

I'm new to the 6.5 AR platform I know in the .223 platform there were mags that seemed to perform better than others and I'm sure its the same way with the 6.5 so could someone tell me which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. And maybe where to buy?

I would imagine you have to divide the question into high and low capacity. I have several AR Stoner 10 round mags with the blue follower and they run like clockwork. I can not speak for their high capacity one though, nor anyone else' for that matter. Basically, I found one that works for my needs and stayed with it. I'm pretty boring at restaurants as well

Hoot

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

its not like there are a lot of different manufacturers of Grendel magazines to choose from... I think they are all made by the same company. And right now i cant find any hi-cap mags anywhere; Even AA is out... crap!!!

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by yotesmoker View Post
        I'm new to the 6.5 AR platform I know in the .223 platform there were mags that seemed to perform better than others and I'm sure its the same way with the 6.5 so could someone tell me which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. And maybe where to buy?
        Currently there's only one manufacturer, who stamps different names on the floorplates for companies like AA, Midway.

One or more additional makers are expected to start producing Grendel mags early next year.

FYI: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...5-Grendel-mags

Comment

Too bad they don't make these for the Grendel. It would be worth doing modifications if it would work with the Grendel ... LOL

Comment

Is it possible to use AR type 7.62x39 mags with 6.5 Grendel ammunition?

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wch View Post
              Possibly, but I think the same manufacturers (ASC & C-Products) are about the only current-production mag options for 7.62x39. Might as well buy the Grendel mags if that's the case, but I could be mistaken regarding 7.62x39 mag availability...
              Drifter

Comment

• independentrider1

has anyone ever held a 5.56 mag next to a grendel mag for comparison? Are the physical dimensions different or are just the internals. I am currently working on building mine so I haven't purchased and Grendel mags yet. if the dimensions are the same maybe the follower can be switched out.

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by independentrider1 View Post
                  has anyone ever held a 5.56 mag next to a grendel mag for comparison? Are the physical dimensions different or are just the internals. I am currently working on building mine so I haven't purchased and Grendel mags yet. if the dimensions are the same maybe the follower can be switched out.
                  The grooves are shallower on the Grendel mags, so the followers may not swap between mag bodies. Also, aluminum 5.56 mags will just swell up as you add more Grendel rounds, becoming unusable after 5-6 rounds have been inserted - no matter what follower you have in there.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by wch View Post
                    Not practical. Because the cartridges have significantly different case taper, the magazines also differ greatly in curvature.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      Not practical. Because the cartridges have significantly different case taper, the magazines also differ greatly in curvature.
                      Can you use a .223 magazine with 6.5 if you underload? I have used underloaded 5.45 AK magazines in a 223 AK, and it worked fine. Just wondering if the same principle applied. Thanks.

Comment

I may be able to help, but I need your help first to find out for sure that this is going to work.

Happy new year everyone! I hope what I am doing here is permitted. I don't actually have an rifle in 6.5 Grendel. However, I did have a Cproduct 6.5 Grendel Magazine. :p I am actually coming here asking for help. Here are two little invention I had for AR rifle. the #1 you can find it here (http://www.ar15

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Opus Dei View Post
                          Can you use a .223 magazine with 6.5 if you underload? I have used underloaded 5.45 AK magazines in a 223 AK, and it worked fine. Just wondering if the same principle applied. Thanks.
                          Yes, some people have reported sucess with up to 5-6 rounds in 5.56 mags, but......

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            Yes, some people have reported sucess with up to 5-6 rounds in 5.56 mags, but......
                            That few; huh. I would've figured maybe half-capacity.

Comment

Hello all. I've been a grendel owner for quite some time and have been a member of the boards since the old site. My question is for all who have a well functioning 25 rnd magazines. When loaded to capacity (25rnds) do you find that the magazine will not drop free from the magazine well or have any of you short stacked the magazine and found that this problem doesn't exist? All of mine feed well but, all of them do not fall free when filled to capacity. Only one will fall free empty and I have spent lots of time working the magazines with the lower reciever. Perhaps I have just been unlucky. As with most, I have plenty of 10 rounders which work great.

Comment

Working...
                              X