X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RangerRick

LeveRevolution fouling

Hi all,

I've been trying out some LeveRevolution powder in a Grendel with a 20 inch barrel with rifle length gas system. I've been getting pretty good results with 130 grain bullets, but I'm getting a lot of powder fouling.

Anybody else see this or is it just too slow for a 20 inch barrel?

Rick
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Rick I fired some rounds the other day loaded with LVR and found that it is very dirty. I went up to 31.5 grs and the results looked like it has potential however it is definately not clean burning.

Comment

Since I shoot a bolt action Grendle where fouling is less catrostophic and like the 130gr bullets I gotta ask; About what kinda results you guys getting?

Comment

What brand primers you guys using? I haven't seen any particular fouling in my 24" Satern barrel. I also can't get near to 31.5grs without pressure signs. I've been using Winchester SR primers in Lapua brass.

MLM

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
          Since I shoot a bolt action Grendle where fouling is less catrostophic and like the 130gr bullets I gotta ask; About what kinda results you guys getting?
          Here's a range report on them that I posted: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...light=scirocco

I haven't used them hunting yet, so I don't have experience there.

RR

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by mlmiller1 View Post
            What brand primers you guys using? I haven't seen any particular fouling in my 24" Satern barrel. I also can't get near to 31.5grs without pressure signs. I've been using Winchester SR primers in Lapua brass.

MLM
            I've been using CCI 450 primers. The highest I went was 30.6 grains with 130 grain bullets (Swift Scirocco). Were you using 130 grain bullets? I would like to get up to 2400 fps with my 20 inch barrel, but I don't know if I can push it that far.

I'm getting about 2310 fps with 30.6 grains from a 20 inch barrel.

RR

Comment

I was shooting 123s, both Hornady A Max & Scenars. Velocity was right at 2400 in scenar with 28.6gr & 2444 at 29.2 under the A Max. Those were the loads that gave me the best groups at 200yds. 30.7 was too hot under the scenar for my gun & 31 was way too hot under the A Max. Of course it seems everyone's gun is different. YMMV. I tried a few(not a real solid test) of CCI primers & they were a few feet slower.
              MLM

Comment

• RangerRick

I was shooting 123s, both Hornady A Max & Scenars. Velocity was right at 2400 in scenar with 28.6gr & 2444 at 29.2 under the A Max. Those were the loads that gave me the best groups at 200yds. 30.7 was too hot under the scenar for my gun & 31 was way too hot under the A Max. Of course it seems everyone's gun is different. YMMV. I tried a few(not a real solid test) of CCI primers & they were a few feet slower.
                MLM
                That's interesting. I got it up to 31.5 grains of LeveRevolution in my 20 inch barrel before I got pressure signs, but it was still slower thanAA2520.

RR

Comment

I am running 30.2 gr behind 140 grn nosler cc's with no indications of pressure at all. LVR works great for the grendel and produces less pressure than 2520. It does however burn dirty.

Comment

For me, too hot is flat primers. They weren't flowing yet or piercing but they were flat. I've torn brass in an AR before by pushing things & I don't like it, I also don't like ruining brass that costs as much as the lapua costs so I guess I stay on the very safe side. I'm sure the longer(24") barrel has something to do with the pressure, too. It seems each rifle is different in this respect. It could be my throat is shorter a little bit or something which is also bumping up pressure. Kind of hard to tell for sure without side by side comparisons. It doesn't seem particularly dirty in my gun, though. No more so than anything else I've tried. Interesting discussion, it seems my results are sort of abnormal.
                    MLM

Comment

• RangerRick

For me, too hot is flat primers. They weren't flowing yet or piercing but they were flat. I've torn brass in an AR before by pushing things & I don't like it, I also don't like ruining brass that costs as much as the lapua costs so I guess I stay on the very safe side. I'm sure the longer(24") barrel has something to do with the pressure, too. It seems each rifle is different in this respect. It could be my throat is shorter a little bit or something which is also bumping up pressure. Kind of hard to tell for sure without side by side comparisons. It doesn't seem particularly dirty in my gun, though. No more so than anything else I've tried. Interesting discussion, it seems my results are sort of abnormal.
                      MLM
                      That's why I started this thread. I was wondering if the powder was too low in a 20 inch barrel. Is it high residue, of is it failing to burn completely in a 20 inch barrel? I haven't noticed any muzzle flash, but I've only fired it during the day.

It's hard to tell in the Grendel when overpressure starts. By the time you see flat primers you are probably way over, so your approach makes sense.

I've seen guys with 16 inch barrels shooting loads that would make my primers get sharp edges, the peak pressure should be only a few inches down the barrel, so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

RR

Comment

• rasp65
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

It was 20 degrees the day I was out. At 30 grs. the CCI450's looked like they did when I primed the case, at 31.5 they looked more flatened but still had rounded edges. The other thing is higher pressures can make the powders burn more completely with less residue. I haven't chronoed the loads so I am not sure how they compare to say 30 grs of 2520.

Comment

When I said the primers were flat, I may should have said flattening. They were not so flat as to truly be flat but you could tell they were getting lots of pressure. I quit at that point, called it good enough for my needs. I shot some groups at 200yds less than 2" circle would cover easily. For me & my limited skills, that is unbelievable. Maybe when I build more skill, Ill go back & revisit my load development but that will be a while.
                          MLM

Comment

MLM
                            Try federal m205 or BR4. Win primers are extremely hot.

A320PYLT

Comment

So a less hot primer will reduce pressure? Will you still get a complete clean burn? I haven't experienced the dirty gun syndrome others have spoken about.

Comment

Working...
                              X