• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Nosler 123gr HPBT Custom Competition

Maybe I'm living under a rock or something, but I haven't previously noticed the 123gr Nosler HPBT Custom Competition bullet.

Didn't see it listed on Nosler's website, nor on the JBM Ballistic's website, but noticed on MidwayUSA's site:

I've had good accuracy results with this bullet in another caliber, and have seen some barrels favor it over the Sierra. Price seems reasonable too. I'm assuming the BC is similar to other 123gr match-type bullets, but don't really know.

So is this old news and I'm the last to know, or something new?

Anyone tried 'em in the Grendel?
    Drifter

If this isnt a mistake then it is a new bullet offering by nosler.

Comment

Yup, it's listed on Nosler's web-site

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
        Yup, it's listed on Nosler's web-site
        http://www.nosler.com/New-Products.aspx
        Excellent. Thanks for the link.

I didn't see it listed elsewhere on Nosler's site, and didn't notice the New Products section.

BC- .510

SD- .252

OAL- 1.200
        Drifter

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
          Excellent. Thanks for the link.

I didn't see it listed elsewhere on Nosler's site, and didn't notice the New Products section.

BC- .510

SD- .252

OAL- 1.200
          Interesting, the BC is he same listed for the Hornady 123 and SMK 123, but less tham the .547 Lapua claims for the 123 Scenar.

RR

Comment

Reduce the G1 BC's for Scenars 8-10% is what my Finnish sources are telling me, but they don't use BC data anyway, since the doppler radar data is available for scenars.

Comment

Just had a box delivered today. Long range at Manatee next week.
              We've had really good success with the Custom Competition in our .223 Rem 700, hoping the same holds true with the Grendel...
              Specs the same as the 123 A-Max we've been using, it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in the way these two "identical" bullets shoot...
              Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Nosler has hired a new marketer to move aggressively into the match bullet space currently dominated by Sierra. There are considerable discounts and free freight for purchases of $1,000 or more. We just recently made a club buy.

Here is the contact information, but pricing is confidential. You will need to place the order through your local club or state association.

Jennifer Babcock
                Inside Sales Representative
                Nosler, Inc.
                107 SW Columbia St.
                Bend, OR 97702
                541-382-3921 x1009
                Cell: 541-974-3555
                Fax: 541-388-4667
                Excellence...Integrity...Service

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by tobnpr View Post
                  Just had a box delivered today. Long range at Manatee next week.
                  We've had really good success with the Custom Competition in our .223 Rem 700, hoping the same holds true with the Grendel...
                  Specs the same as the 123 A-Max we've been using, it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in the way these two "identical" bullets shoot...
                  Are you saying it's has the same ogive, same bullet profile exactly?

Comment

Here is one review of the bullet fired from a Les Baer http://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/...un-brad-wilson
                    Bob

Comment

No, they're not... and this is where it's puzzling for me, as a relatively new reloader (1-1/2 years).

Ogive is different, the Nosler carries it's thickness much further forward. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the 123 A-Max's with me last night- but it became obvious when I ran it through the bullet seating die that was set for the Amax, and set it waaay too deep.

OK, I get how you can have two bullets identical caliber, and weight. But, given that their profiles are NOT identical, how is it that they can have an identical ballistic coefficient???

When i said "identical bullets", I was referring to my thinking that...we have identical bullet weight...we have identical BC's...
                      Theoretically, they should fly identically...at least, those are the only variables (in addition to MV) that get plugged into my ballistic program.

So how is it two visibly different bullets of the same weight can have an identical BC? This is above my pay grade...

I might have an Amax round somewhere that I can pull the bullet and take side by side pics and show ya...

Comment

• Drifter
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I tend to think that NCC's are closer in shape to SMK's than A-max's, but don't really know for sure...
                        Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          I tend to think that NCC's are closer in shape to SMK's than A-max's, but don't really know for sure...
                          Correct, the Nosler Custom Competition bullets are a clone of the SMK's. The A-Max are very different and approach a VLD design but the 123 is an exception designed specifically for the Grendel.

All bullet designs are a series of compromises, the pointier the nose on a hollow point design the higher the yield loss is due to deformation from the nose punch as the bullet is ejected from the die, therefore the plastic tip of the A-Max can be slipper than the relatively blunt hollow point of the CCC. However the 123 Amax was designed to be less jump sensitive and the taper of the nose section gives up some slipperyness to the CCC design. In this case the gives and takes are equal. My bets would be on the 123 A-Max to achieve tight groups with less load development.
                          Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X