123gr Sierra HPBT Match or 100gr HP Sierra Varmenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 123gr Sierra HPBT Match or 100gr HP Sierra Varmenter

I am completely new to 6.5 and reloading. My buddy is a heavy reloader for 223 rem 75gr for pigs. The two bullets I have listed above (123gr HPBT and 100gr HP from Sierra) are the ones I have on hand to reload. I am leaning towards 123 only because of there are factory loads available if by some chance I run out of reloads. My questions are,
    1) Is the 123gr a OK/Good choice from some dead pigs? Here in Tallahassee, Fl we are very close to the plantations and they just want them gone.
    2) What would be a good powder to use? I have seen so many numbers as I search so I figured I would just ask.
    3) What range would you zero at? Shoots will be made anywhere between 75 Yards - 400 yards.

Rifle Info- 22" Bull wilson Barrel, single stage chip trigger
    Scope - 6-24x56

Thank you,
    Goat

If you are limited to those two bullet choices take the 123 gr. Then go get some IMR 8208 XBR, start working up from 27.5 gr and think twice before going past 28.5 gr as that is the max published load. That powder is temp stable for hot days in Florida and performs great in the Grendel with that grain of bullet. Also for sight in range I would recommend 200 yards. Welcome to the community.

Comment

Nim,
      I am not limited to those two bullets just looked into those two. Any recommendations on different loads/bullet combos? I have been thinking H335, Varget, or Benchmark. Good/Bad idea?
      Thank your the welcome to the forum,
      Goat
      Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the Powder

Comment

• BenchRider

Somebody said "Remington 120gr Core-Lokt" does it for piggies. Apparently, they require a tough bullet with good expansion and penetration. The Amax's are known to be highly accurate, but also highly frangible and may not get where they're supposes to go with a less than optimal placement.

I'm thinking about a box of 500 Remingtons should work...

Load them with just below max with 8208 XBR given by Nimrod for the 123 gr Amax's. For your 400 yard shots, there will be a "bit" more elevation required, but if you hit 'em, they should drop.

Comment

Working...
        X