Load Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Suggestions

Anybody have any loads to share for 107gr SMK? I have BL-C2, IMR 8208 XBR, and Varget powders available. Also, I've been using CCI 450 primers and I've had about 10 reloads not fire, but the primer was struck well by the firing pin. Any suggestions on primers?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Primers are right. My most accurate load of XBR for the 107 has been 28.5 grains, posted here:

Rifle is a Grendel Sniper, 28" barrel, though mine is topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22: Fewer than 30 rounds downrange, but looking for a good 600 yard load. It wasn't real happy with Amax's, though sub MOA at 100 yards when loaded over 29 grains of TAC. I tried Sierra 107's over XBR 29 grains, and got very

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

In my .264 LBC-chambered gun, a 107 grn Sierra HPBT over 30 grns of BLC2 and a CCI 450 turned in this 5-round group at 100 yards:

That said, I haven't been able to repeat the group size, though subsequent groups still shoot better than 1 MOA.

Comment

What temps were you shooting these failure to fires, and what hammer spring are you using? A heavier hammer spring is often needed with certain primers and lower temps, in my experience. JP lightweight hammer springs have usually been the culprit, in combination with a standard hammer and not their speed hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            What temps were you shooting these failure to fires, and what hammer spring are you using? A heavier hammer spring is often needed with certain primers and lower temps, in my experience. JP lightweight hammer springs have usually been the culprit, in combination with a standard hammer and not their speed hammer.
            It was in the low 60's the first time and the mid 40's the second time. Yes, I have a JP lightweight hammer spring. I should add, it fires factory Hornady 123gr everytime with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ss355 View Post
              In my .264 LBC-chambered gun, a 107 grn Sierra HPBT over 30 grns of BLC2 and a CCI 450 turned in this 5-round group at 100 yards:

That said, I haven't been able to repeat the group size, though subsequent groups still shoot better than 1 MOA.
              Very nice group. I can do groups like this at 100 yards, but at 300 it's very inconsistent.

Comment

Do you guys have any suggestions for another primer?

Comment

• Retooferab

I like 7.5 Remington's.

Comment

i have a question about loads. For long range shooting ie 600-1200 yards is it better to use a 123 bullet and shoot it around 2650 or is it better to shoot the 107 and look for ftps around 2800?

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
                      i have a question about loads. For long range shooting ie 600-1200 yards is it better to use a 123 bullet and shoot it around 2650 or is it better to shoot the 107 and look for ftps around 2800?
                      123's will probably shoot better at distance, but some of that is dependent on how well your rifle shoots a particular load.

I'm still in the process of developing a 800-1000 yard load, and I've shot .21" groups at 100 with 107's, but beyond 500 the 123's seem to shoot better.

Comment

Originally posted by rhyno_071 View Post
                        ......I've had about 10 reloads not fire, but the primer was struck well by the firing pin. Any suggestions on primers?
                        Ok I will sound like I am picking on ya,, but really I am not did you oil the primer or powder? Did you clean your hands before handling primers or powder?
                        In other words between the sizing/priming and loading powder could you have contaminated the powder/ or primer in handing with case lube on your fingers?
                        If the Sizing die is set correct and the Firing pin is striking hard you should not see 10 primer out of a box of CCI (or anyone elses) primer misfire with correctly seated primers. I could see 1 out of 10K, never had a issue with Rem/CCI/Win primer like that before.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Anybody have any loads to share for 107gr SMK? I have BL-C2, IMR 8208 XBR, and Varget powders available. Also, I've been using CCI 450 primers and I've had about 10 reloads not fire, but the primer was struck well by the firing pin. Any suggestions on primers?
                          Rhyno, pics of the primers? I've never had a CCI 450 fail to ignite, after going through about 10,000 or more in the last 5 years or so. Having 10 not fire says contamination somewhere along the way. How old are they, where were they stored, etc. could play part.

The truth is that well struck primers ignite, period. Failures are in the 1 in thousands or maybe 10's of thousands range. To have 10 not ignite means a problem with the primer, the seating, or the rifle firing pin. If they were indeed well struck, that rules out the firing pin. So that leaves primer or seating. Seating too deep is difficult, but possible, and you can get light primer strikes that look ALMOST normal except under really good examination.

Apart from that, with that many duds, I would really suspect contamination at some point in the chain.

Comment

Do you guys have any suggestions for another primer?
                            The most consistent primers I've found for use in the Grendel or .223 are Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers, I achieve single digit standard deviations with them often. They are thick cupped .0025" so as to avoid slam fires. Remington 7.5, CCI 450, 41 or BR4 are all thick walled also. You don't want to use CCI400, Reminngton 6.5, or Winchester Small Rifle primers, they will pierce with max loads and may slam fire when the bolt is dropped due to firing pin inertia. But you would need to get rid of the light springs.
                            Bob

Comment

I understand the questions. No I dont have any pictures. I don't believe its my firing pin because all of my factory Hornadys fire with no problems. I use a tumbler to clean casings. I use RCBS spray when resizing. Everything is sealed and clean. Don't know what it could be. Some of the reloads fire just fine. If it is my firing pin, is it possible that it would fire factory Hornadys just fine and reloads sometimes?

Comment

Working...
                              X