Most accurate factory ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most accurate factory ammo?

OK so I don't have the ability to re-load, what's the most accurate commercially available ammo? I use Hornady AMAX for accuracy and Wolf MPT for plinking...?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Depends on your barrel. The Amax load is very accurate, the Lapua load is also. The Nosler BT load from AA is also. Really determined by your barrel, but all of those might work very well for you.

Bill

Comment

• philmurphy

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Depends on your barrel. The Amax load is very accurate, the Lapua load is also. The Nosler BT load from AA is also. Really determined by your barrel, but all of those might work very well for you.

Bill
        Drift,

I would buy a couple of boxes of comparable ammo: Hornady 123 Amax, AA 129 Scenar, Wolf 123 or 129 HPBT, 123 Amax .264 LBC. See which shoot well for your gun. IMO, one should design the rifle around the round. In this case, we need to hunt for the right round.

Phil

Comment

I have the 20" satern fluted barrel, I've always thought highly of Hornady ammo, and it's much more accessible and affordable than the AA ammo...

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

The Hornady ammo has been sub MOA accurate at 100 yards in just about every rifle where someone has chosen to post about it. By all accounts, it is a very good factory load, especially at the price point. The Scenar 123 loaded by AA, (its a 123 grain, not a 129 grain bullet) has proven to be VERY accurate in almost every factory AA barrel, and especially in the Satern barrels.

The only way to find the most accurate factory ammo for YOUR rifle is to buy a couple boxes of each, and shoot them for effect. Make sure that each test starts as close to the same parameters as you can, ie. clean barrel with 1 or 2 fouling shots prior to the test, similar temps, similar wind, etc.

The AMAX, Lapua 123 Scenar, and the Nosler BT have proven themselves to shoot very well in a wide range of rifles. My bet is that at 100 yards all of them will shoot sub MOA if you are capable of it. One of them will probably shoot 5 shot groups that touch each other. Maybe all 3 will. The Satern barrels tend to shoot multiple loads very well.

If you want cost effective accuracy, it sounds like you've already gotten there, with the Hornady Amax, and the Wolf 120 MPT for plinking.

Ultimate accuracy is almost always found by tinkering with handloads. You may find a very accurate factory load, but even that can almost always be improved if you have the opportunity to load your own. There are no top level benchrest or F class competition shooters shooting factory loads to my knowledge, they all load their own to maximize their rifles accuracy potential.
            Last edited by bwaites; 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by philmurphy View Post
              Drift,

I would buy a couple of boxes of comparable ammo: Hornady 123 Amax, AA 129 Scenar, Wolf 123 or 129 HPBT, 123 Amax .264 LBC. See which shoot well for your gun. IMO, one should design the rifle around the round. In this case, we need to hunt for the right round.

Phil
              One small correction, you probably meant Wolf Gold 120 MPT instead of "Wolf 123". The novice could infer the Wolf Gold 123 SP loading which is pretty much universally maligned (and justly so...).
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
              X