Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Need Reloading Work Area Setup Advice

Thread title says it all. I got a reloader (Hornady LNL AP) from Santa and I need to setup an area to use it. I have 0 experience reloading. I've got the manual and am working through it, but I wanted to see if anyone had some specific advice or tips on setup.

I would ultimately like to have my AP and a Forster Coax and room for a basic gun vise or something to clean rifles/pistols. I am left handed but it seems like setting everything backwards is too much trouble so I can adapt. I also have a homemade tumbler from a previous project.

I've got 6-8ft to work with. I would apreciate as much specific (dimensions if possible) details as you guys with years of experience can provide. this thread (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ding-Room-Pics) was great but can you get more specific with what works and doesn't

So far, I think these plans http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...ench_plans.pdf are a great jumping off point and easy enough to build.

Thanks!
    michaelmew

You pretty much gotta work with whatever it is you have to work with.

My reloading area (for now) is a 3 ft section of kitchen type counter space in your laundry room and the two cabinets above it. It's not much, but I've made a pretty comfortable space to work in. It all gets put away into the cupboards when I'm done. The only thing that stays out is the press, powder throw and case prep.

Comment

I started out with a round kitchen table I sawed the sides off, but now I picked up (present from wifey) this table, harbor freight sells them.

Comment

Deezil -- That's an awesome set up!

Micahelmew, If you have ANY concern about making a progressive press work, get yourself a single stage press to start your reloading habit!!!

If the Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Single Stage press (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/197...le-stage-press) at about $135.00 is too steep, then try the Lee Reloader Single Stage Press (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807...le-stage-press) to do your initial familiarization with handloading.

Once you are comfortable with the single-stage AND you have a load you plan to shoot a lot, then start using the progressive!

The single-stage will continue to serve you well for various activities, including any experimentation with new loads and calibers.

Cheers!

Comment

michael, my first press is the one in the pic, a Lee classit turret press, and I LOVE it, take your time, check your work, and do your research, the internet is a great thing for help! I dont know the specifics on yours, but my lee turrett I can take the rod out that makes it turn, thus turning it into a single stage.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

MM:

Aside from what the others have offered -- all good advice -- let me suggest that you locate your press in terms of ease of operation. With the Lock and Load AP's, you may find it easier for you to put the brass and bullets into the system if it is a bit higher than you may initially think. Also, I prefer some space to the left and right of the Lock N Load to place a bin of brass on the left and bullets on the right. You will probably end up feeding the brass with the left hand and the bullets with the right. Remember that the arm of the press needs some clearance and if the press is too low, you will end up having to stoop down to work the press handle. C clamps are your friend when figuring out where you want the press. Once you find that spot, then drill.

You chose a very good auto progressive press.

LR55

Comment

• michaelmew

Thanks for the tips, good stuff. I think clamping to find the ideal spot is a fantastic idea. I wish I could take credit for choosing the press, but my Dad has some reloading experience and picked it out. I thought I was going to get a Forster.

Deezil, thanks for the pic. I've seen that exact bench at Harbor Freight before. That bench was originally purposed for woodworking, did you have to do anything fancy to be able to use it for reloading?

What do you guys think about drawers (like in the picture) vs shelves along the wall? If I go the route of shelves, do doors make sense or are they just a waste?

LR, you mentioned mounting heights. The drawings I referenced in my OP gave a height of ~42" (if my math is correct). I am 6'1", does that seem appropriate? What about work surface depth? Is 24" too much?

Thanks again!

Comment

One key thing that I can point out is sort of obvoius but one that I am gulity of (as many will probably chime in as well) set the bench up for loading only don't allow it to be the project bench.
                Build a separate one if at all possiable for cleaning/ maintenace etc . Use the Loading bench for ammo production only with all the tools that you need store on THAT bench.
                The plans that you have linked are a good start, but think about drawers under the main section of the bench for Die Storage or small support tools... Allen wrenches, cresent wrenches. Another addition could be to use the same sliding doors but on the outside doors place sections of peg board to hang commonly used items likes flash hole uniformers primer reamers or stuck case remover.
                Powder storage is easy enough... keep in ORGINAL Containers!!! one can build a small shelf system to the side to store powder and primers separated by plywood as barrier in orginal containers. Many here will say use Ammo cans to store powders as thery are airtight yet are designed for powders to a point and in my "opinion" quite useful ( I use the daylights out of them). Having actually seen what is left over from Gun powder being stored in ammo cans within a house fire I will say that they are effective and DO NOT do a bomb effect merely give easily and buldge way out without any burst effect or shearing. However you do your storage of course keep primer separated from the powder which i am positive you already are aware of. Like I stated this is all obvoius statements.
                Congradulations on the equipment plan for growth do not skip on size as you get more into it you will use up space like crazy ... thumbler here, dies here, bullet storage here ...brass storage here you get the idea and Have fun with it and don't make it complicated your plans that you posted will work great for what you will need.

BTW one COULD Modify to a L config to have one area for the Loading one for mainetance
                Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

shevles that are shown are great to store your clutter IN MY OPINION

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by sgt_murf View Post
                    shevles that are shown are great to store your clutter IN MY OPINION
                    I thought so too, initially. After I read your earlier post, I started to think they might be a bad idea. Extra storage is great, but won't I have a tendency to fill up that storage? I expect that if I try to use the bench exclusively for reloading, if I add extra storage, other things will get stored there.

Comment

• vanguard138

Michaelmew, I built the bench you have the link to except I went a full 8' instead of the 6' I believe the plans state.
                      I also did not put doors on it. Works great for me.

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by vanguard138 View Post
                        Michaelmew, I built the bench you have the link to except I went a full 8' instead of the 6' I believe the plans state.
                        I also did not put doors on it. Works great for me.
                        Thanks Van, glad to hear real life testimony. I think I'll leave the doors off also. I also think I'm going to incorporate some drawers like in the picture shown previously.

Comment

The more hoss your bench is, the better. It sucks if your table top flexes at all, when you cam down on the handle.

Setting up your dies is one of the most critical tasks you will be doing as long as you load. Be patient and start with the die backed out as much as possible so you don't destroy your brass. Screw the die down with the brass cammed up as high as it will go for the ram-stroke, then set the depth of the die that way.

Grendel and auto-loader brass needs to be full-length sized, so you will need to connect the shell holder to the bottom of the sizing die. Use plenty of case lube, without hydro-forming dents with excessive case lube.

What LR1955 said about having working space to the left and right is the truth.

+1 on not using your loading bench as your workbench, which I'm guilty of. It only makes things messy and you don't want to be pounding on something, vibrating the trash out of your digital scale, knocking over boxes of primers, and spilling trays of brass all over....uh, yeah, I had a....friend that did it...

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Yeah, I have outgrown my space, but at least it's air conditioned and located in my gun room. This room also serves as my HAM shack and the control point for my computer network and recording studio. It's cozy but at least it keeps all my activities centralized.
                            I can lock this room and keep it secure when I have guests. But yeah, I need more space.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

You will overfill your storage. Plan on it. Keep your immediate work area clean. Keep the can of the powder you are using right in front of you, and none other on the bench. Same for primers and bullets. Read every manual you can find. Work one round through at a time until you are comfortable enough to load every station (and can recover a mistake without making a squib, etc). Expect problems. Learn the resolutions to the problems, and prevent them. Learn the difference between the different case lubes, and between new and fired cases. Learn to disassemble rounds safely that you aren't 100 percent sure of. (obvious) Don't mix alcohol and reloading. Then go back and read all the manuals again. I've got three reloaders, and two 10 foot benches, and a workbench, and they are all full. I enjoy the heck out of it. I hope you do too. (PS, write EVERYTHING down, and if you buy Dillon reloaders, they will replace anything anytime lifetime for free, even if your house burns down, God forbid).

Comment

Working...
                              X