Powder Changing Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Changing Color

Anybody else ever notice powder changing color if you leave it out of the can for a while? Loaded some 8208 a while back and left some in a cup I dispense from. Went to load tonight and noticed it had changed a dark grey color, when the stuff in the can has more of a bronze color. If the color changes, I wonder what other properties can change when it's left out?

Where do you live? If humid, the moisture absorption into the powder will jack your stuff up. I always seal my cans with the lids after loading, even living in one of the driest climates in the US. I would guess that burn rate would be reduced with absorption of air/moisture.

I'm also very paranoid about "Eldest Son"-type events perpetrated by those who would use that technique, so I leave them a little...surprise, when on vacation. The poor souls that might try something like that in my place would seriously regret it.

Comment

Live in Alaska. Been fairly dry with the below zero, but there were some periods of high humidity during some warm spells. Dumped the powder since it was just a little bit. First time I've ever noticed it in years of loading though.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I would guess the same; either the powder is drying out, or it's absorbing moisture.

Drying out will make it weigh less. So compared to a normal charge, more powder will go into the case to achieve a given weight charge. Velocity will likely increase, as will pressure, which could be a safety issue if the load was already a max charge with "normal" powder.

Absorbing moisture will make the powder heavier. Thus, less powder is needed to achieve a particular charge weight. Consequently, velocity is less.

Either can affect accuracy.

Best bet is to keep powder sealed, and not leave it in a powder dispenser when not actually in use.
        Drifter

Comment

It works good to sprinkle on the wifes flower garden ...... great furtilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
            It works good to sprinkle on the wifes flower garden ...... great furtilizer.
            Also for making the compost heap work better!

(Got rid of a lot of powder in rusty cans this way.)

Comment

• michaelmew

I have a question that might be relevant to this thread. I bought powder and primers and bullets about 6 months or so ago expecting to start reloading. Long story short, I didn't start reloading, but am almost ready now. So, are the powder and primers still good to go? I live in North Texas and at various times they were stored in my garage in the heat/cold and inside in the A/C. Nothing was ever opened though. I anticipate some reduction in performance but my primary concern is creating a safety issue. I am (at this point) only reloading to save money. How concerned should I be?

And, for future reference, what causes the perishable components to perish? Someone suggested always storing poder and primers indoors in different locations; is that the norm?

Comment

Stored in the original can without a lot of extreme temps, they should be fine. If left open, some of the components are volatile, and can change.

Comment

Powder will decompose and will have an acidic smell when it does. I've loaded 20 year old IMR4350 with the same results it produced when new. But if left to temperature extremes it will degrade more rapidly.
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X