Case cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case cleaning

Sonic vs. stainless tumbling. Where do you all stand.

Tikka

I have both Sonic and Thumbler Tumbler and now only use the Tumbler as the brass comes out looking new even in the primer pockets. The only down sides are the up front cost and you have to check each piece of brass as the steel pins get wedged side ways in the mouth of some of the cases. Would hate to load and shoot steel pins down a good barrel.

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean. But I guess it's no different than having to inspect primer pockets and flash holes for corn cobb medium. At least you don't have to wait for cases to dry before using them. I think I'll get the Thumbler.

Thanks for the response,

Tikka

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

tikka, stainless tumbling is a wet process, also.

Comment

Try stainless media tumbling and you will never go back to anything else. It is that much better.
          Bob

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Tikka Although I never used the ultrasonic method, I use the SS method. When you empty out the brass they look like new. Once you buy the pins and the tumbler all you will need is dish detergent and Lemishine. There is a lot of info on this method on Snipers Hide website. One thing I learned is not to size the necks first as the pins will stick in the neck a lot more than if they are unsized. As far as drying the cases I use a food dehydrator but have found that they will dry fairly quickly if left out in the sun.

Comment

Yep, I forgot about the drying. It is so easy, I just put on a cookie sheet and bake at 175 deg in oven for 30 min. This was the samething I did with the sonic cleaner. Take out and they cool in about 5 min. I also lube, resize, and deprime the brass while dirty and then clean in tumbler. This way you only have to clean once. If you clean and then resize you have to clean again to get the lube out of the brass.

Comment

Great info. Looks like you made up my mind. SS tumbling it is.

Thanks folks

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Tikka One more thing, there are some SS media that are non magnetic. I would advise against these as they can not be picked up by a magnet, and believe me there will be a time when you need to pick up the pins.

Comment

I've already got the stainless media, roller bearing, electric motor. All I need to do is build the frame and make some tumbler barrels. Way Way way ..... way cheaper than buying a tumbler.

The only thing I'll be using the vibe tumbler for is to clean off sizing lube.

As for the ultrasonic cleaner ...... not really worth the cost time and effort. Results aren't that great. Not compared to stainless media anyway.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                      I've already got the stainless media, roller bearing, electric motor. All I need to do is build the frame and make some tumbler barrels. Way Way way ..... way cheaper than buying a tumbler.

As for the ultrasonic cleaner ...... not really worth the cost time and effort. Results aren't that great. Not compared to stainless media anyway.
                      How about a tutorial on how you do it, with pictures?

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Also----- Who has the best deal on the stainless media? I already have an old rotary tumbler.
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          How about a tutorial on how you do it, with pictures?
                          I 2nd that. A tutorial would be awesome. I'd like to learn how to build one.

Comment

Sinclair International has 5 lbs. of ss media for $46.95.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post

Please post a tutorial build & part list info

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X