• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COTNTOP
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Neck size & tension

When I seat bullets the case shaves copper. What options do I have to remedy this problem? I realize adequate neck tension is very important in semi-auto rifles. THANKS

Are you chamfering the case mouth? What bullet are you using, is it a flat base or boat tail? It is somehat normal to shave jacket off when using a flat base bullet and a chamfer that isn't adequate of even some VLD's will shave unless the camfer angle matches the chamfer angle close enough, that is why the make VLD chamfers http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...hamfering-Tool
    Bob

Comment

• COTNTOP
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I am chamfering and using 123 Lapua. Case necks are .257 after FL sized. Worried about proper neck tension for cycling issues. THANKS

Comment

Also, you can measure the neck tension by comparing a neck before and after bullet seating. The optimum neck tension varries depending upon the powder and bullet you are using but generally .003 is a good amount to shoot for.
        Bob

Comment

Are you sure, .257 is way small if your talking outside dimenstion. It should be more like .267-.268.
          Bob

Comment

• COTNTOP
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

THANKS, looks like need to invest in extra equipment.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I was about to say, .257? That's tiny, no wonder you are shaving copper!

Comment

• COTNTOP
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Inside measurement. Just wondering what is easiest fix?
                Last edited by COTNTOP; 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Are you are resizing the new cases before reloading them? If so, you need a new expander ball.

If you're resizng 7.62x39 down, that could feasibly happen. I tried a few cases once out of curiousity and when I measured the ID, it was around .257 IIRC. Not wishing to turn or ream the necks, I abandoned the idea.

Hoot

Comment

• COTNTOP
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Yes, resizing new cases.

Comment

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                      Inside measurement. Just wondering what is easiest fix?
                      Well, that is not as bad but is stil to small, inside should be .261 or there abouts. What kind of dies are you using, and how did you measure the inside diameter?
                      Bob

Comment

• COTNTOP
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Outside neck of loaded rounds are .290, was told that is not excessive. Looking like brass is getting hard and my chamfering might be a little slack, does that sound reasonable. Had an exprienced loader take look today and that was his analysis.

Comment

Are you using your expander ball?? Some people take it out. If you took it out .... put it back in.

Comment

I was having the same problem... work harding was the trouble and annealing solved the problem for me

Comment

How is your brass getting hard if you're resizing new cases? Are they too hard from the factory? What brand of brass?

Comment

Working...
                              X