16" Barrel reloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" Barrel reloads

Post up your good loads if you dont mind, Ill be reloading in the near future for mine, like to see shorter barrel performance, Im thinking 120-123gr bullets, unless someone talks me into something else.

Thanks!

hehe... 27 gr WCC 844 (H335) under a 123 gr Amax out of PPU brass.. I only loaded 4 of them up...

Comment

too bad that flyer messed up the group, but still wow, 100yds?

Comment

Yeah... and the flyer was the first shot.. had trouble chambering, so i think that may have had something to do with it... the 27.5 gr load opened up... the 28 gr stayed open and the 28.5 shrunk but nothing like 27... just a linear projection has this at about 2250 fps...

eta... if anyone can run that through quickload I'd be very appreciative... 27 gr under a 123 gr amax with a cci lrp..

Comment

awesome, it looks like another week or two before Ill be able to enjoy my grendel, so Im stockpiling info so I can go gangbusters on it!

Comment

30.5 grains of AA2520 with either 120 grain SMK's or 120 grain Noslers get me sub MOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
              30.5 grains of AA2520 with either 120 grain SMK's or 120 grain Noslers get me sub MOA.
              ^^^^^ same here.

Comment

good, I was wanting to stay above 120gr for a min.

Any target pics?

Comment

AA2520 is temperature sensitive, so a load you use in winter could be too hot in summer.

Comment

Sierra 120 Pro-Hunter 28.8g Varget. I got just under an 1" @ 100yds(5-shots) with my 16" AA 1-8 barrel.

Comment

i have a ton of surplus powder so 28.6 of wc846 in a ppu case with 123smk with 2.25 oal, and 27.2 grains of the same powder in a fire formed winchester 7.62x39 case with 123 Amax are both sub 1/2" if you excuse my flyers. If you dont excuse the flyers the are about .75 moa at 100 yards.

Comment

My favorite load is the 123 Hornady A-Max, in Lapua or AA cases, Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primer, and 28.5 grains of IMR8208XBR. Pictured here are two back to back five shot 100 yard from the bench groups from my Les Baer 16". It is a 6.5 Grendel from before the 264 LBC.
                        Bob

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

I, too, have become a big XBR fan. stokesrj's load is very close to my best as well.

It's my favorite powder, followed by Ramshot TAC and XTerminator.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            I, too, have become a big XBR fan. stokesrj's load is very close to my best as well.

It's my favorite powder, followed by Ramshot TAC and XTerminator.
                            I think I had just started playing around with XBR when the forum went down. Since then I've burned 32 lbs of the stuff, it's a great powder. I burn 31.6 grains in my panda bolt gun but don't try that one with an AR, ouch. Mostly I use it in my service rifle, 23.2 grains behind a Hornady 75 BTHP will clean all the 200 and 300 yard targets with ease while being assembled on my Dillon with thrown charges.
                            Bob

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

I haven't tried it in the 5.56, guess that's my next! Thanks for that recipe!

How long do you seat those?

I'm still wanting a Grendel bolt gun, need to figure out who to have chamber it. Suggestions?
                              Last edited by bwaites; 01-10-2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X