loading jammed or jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loading jammed or jumping

So does anybody load the grendel (ar platform) to jam the rifling or to jump to the riflings. I loaded a round to 2.300" and I'm not touching the riflings! I've got a Sabre 18" barrel/bolt setup and thought I'd try loading .010" into the rifling, but I don't think I can do that unless I load 1round at a time. I'm also not sure how deep in the brass I am, which I'm worried about run out, or the bullet not being straight in the brass.

Anybody loading jammed or is it all jump to the rifling?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Unless you want to load single, the regular bullets for the Grendel will jump a little. They shoot fine like that.

Load to mag length.

Comment

Maybe this article will help. Note, there is more than one OAL sweet spot for most rifles and up close to the lands is not always the most accurate.
      Scroll down to "from the lab".

Comment

So I needed to edit my info. I could load a 2.300" OAL round into the chamber and it not touch the rifling. It seems that this will fit in the mag, at least 1 round anyhow. I'll find out later today if it works and what works best out of the 5 different OAL's. Everything else is the same, Hornady brass, winchester primers, 28grs of H335 powder, and 120gr Nosler ballistic tips.

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

With some bullets your magazine will be the limiting factor as to how close you can get to the throat. I know I can go to 2.30 in some of my mags. One thing for sure you do not want to be jammed in the AR. It will cause high pressures, the Grendel is at the limit already and possibly fireing out of battery. Bill Alexander recommended to keep them off the lands by .007".

Comment

Well I don't think that loading jammed is a problem if you want to shoot out of a mag. I couldn't get any closer and not have to go one at a time. I'm ordering a Hornady OAL gauge setup as I already have the modified case. I'm gonna find out how far off the rifling I am at this point, to see if there is any need in worrying about it or not. I think a guy could load jammed, but he would have to back off the charge, which may hurt you in MV and down range. I don't know, but I sure don't want to fire out of battery!

Comment

Working...
            X