• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Will TAC equal AA2520 for 120g?

Given the reports of 2520 temperature sensitivity, I'm wondering if TAC is close enough to AA2520 performance to switch to it.

AA2520 seemed to have the edge in velocity, and has been quite accurate in my grendels. So I've pretty much standardized on it for Grendel for 120 & 123g.

But if TAC is in the ballpark for performance, yet sidesteps the temp issue, I'll have to look into it.

Is it worth trying?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I use them both, and THINK that I have noticed TAC has less temp sensitivity. I do know that 2520 is temp sensitive, as I had a kaboom with a load I created when it was in the 20-30 degree range and had decent velocity and no pressure signs, but that flattened primers in the 80+ temps I was shooting it in.

BUT they look a lot alike to me and I wonder if they are the same, perhaps with some very minor differences.

Interestingly, I have a friend who had some 2520 that is old, like more than 10 years old, (he can't even remember buying it) and it looked completely different. It's jagged, irregular. He has loaded it all up into cartridges now, or I would try to load some up and compare with the new stuff. Western Powder told someone on the old board that there had been no changes in 2520, but they sure looked different.

TAC is my preferred powder in the 120-123 range now, and I only use 2520 in the winter or if TAC isn't available.

Comment

• Brian
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2011

Can you get the velocity up on TAC to equal the 2520? I am running 28.5 of Tac and only getting 2450 out of a 20" barrel with a 123 AMAX
      Last edited by Brian; 04-02-2011, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Wellllll.......It's comparable, but may not be able to get quite the velocity. I'm not sure. I haven't pushed either to max, I've found loads that shoot well and quit.

I don't chase the speed devil quite as much as others do, so I'm probably not the best to answer that question.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

At one point, Bill Alexander told me that 2520 would have been nearly the perfect Grendel powder, but that something was changed and it became more sensitive. Western Powder says it is unchanged, but the old 2520 my friend had sure looked different!

Alexander would love to make the canister powder he uses available, but the manufacturer doesn't want to deal with it.

We have also discussed Reloader and he thinks that Reloader 12 would have been a good fit, but its not available anywhere I'm aware of.

Comment

Has anyone tried 2495 in any loads but spec. 108 grn

Comment

Working...
            X