Reloader 10x???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloader 10x???

Has anyone tried loading the grendel with reloader 10x. I noticed it sits right smack in between 748, and bl-c2 on the powder burn chart, and since I already load my 6.8 with it, I would love to use one powder for both.

I currently shoot AA2520 under 123 a-max's but was thinking I may have to go with a lighter bullet with the reloader 10x?

Anyway enough of my rambling. Any opinions?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

In the past Bill Alexander has cautioned against using Reloader 10X. My memory isn't what it once was, but if I recall correctly it was because it had unpredictable pressure spikes in the Grendel. He thought that something around Reloader 12-13 would be ideal, but 12 isn't available anymore.

Comment

Ohh well. I'm not going to take any chances. I'm too new to reloading to go down un-traveled roads. I like the the velocity of 2520 but I already have some primer flattening at 29.7 gr.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Slaxer07 View Post
        Has anyone tried loading the grendel with reloader 10x. I noticed it sits right smack in between 748, and bl-c2 on the powder burn chart, and since I already load my 6.8 with it, I would love to use one powder for both.

I currently shoot AA2520 under 123 a-max's but was thinking I may have to go with a lighter bullet with the reloader 10x?

Anyway enough of my rambling. Any opinions?
        SL7:

I tried RL-10X and found it dangerous to use with the Grendel and any weight bullet. Note I didn't say 'hot', I said 'dangerous'. Shortly after I mentioned this on the old forum, Alexander advised us strongly not to use RL-10X with the Grendel.

LR55

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          SL7:

I tried RL-10X and found it dangerous to use with the Grendel and any weight bullet. Note I didn't say 'hot', I said 'dangerous'. Shortly after I mentioned this on the old forum, Alexander advised us strongly not to use RL-10X with the Grendel.

LR55
          Thanks, I was about to revisit it because I noticed today that in Hornandy's reloading manual they have it listed under the 108 gr bullets. I'll stick to the previous 3 I mentioned or maybe try H335.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Slaxer07 View Post
            Thanks, I was about to revisit it because I noticed today that in Hornandy's reloading manual they have it listed under the 108 gr bullets. I'll stick to the previous 3 I mentioned or maybe try H335.
            SL07:

RL-10X was the only powder where I got a bullet going fast enough for me to say the cartridge was capable of being competitive over the course.

107 Match King @ 2850 or so FPS. I shot five or ten over a chronograph an for group at 200. The accuracy was excellent, the velocities just what I wanted for High Power. Unfortunately, the noise and recoil I heard and felt were not right by any means. The brass was Lapua and it was a first or second firing. Well, it was also the last firing of that brass. Primers were flat with signs of gas blowing by the edges of the primer. Headstamps were also pretty flat and the brass itself had a different type of sound when it was tossed into a pile. Much like the sound of brass that is cracked but in this case, it didn't crack.

So, I figure it is best left to itself but I will say that it was the only extruded powder that I thought would give the velocities we were getting from ball powder and the Grendel. Too bad IMHO but it was the only powder that truly scared me with the Grendel.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
            X