Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Dillon550B

I just purchased a Dillon RL550B to reload my pistol rounds. Is anyone out there using one for Grendel rounds? If so, how much is it affecting the accuracy?

Eric

Yes, I do, but I actually do most of my Grendel loads on a single stage press. Accuracy is not an issue, I just like to keep my 550 set up for .223 since I shoot it so much more. When I do load for my Grendel on the 550 I use IMR8208 which meters pretty well on the Dillon. My Dillon loads will hold .5 MOA out to 300 yards and 1MOA at 600. The Hornady 123 grain A-Max is a very good bullet for the Grendel.
    Bob

Comment

I load almost everything on a 550B. I have one set up for small primers, and one for large. The only thing I don't load on them are my shotshells, and my .500 Jeffery, 470 Nitro, and .416 Rigby. I have no problems with accuracy off the press, which seems to be better related to my die settings, my loads, and powder. For super accuracy I weigh every powder load, but I can't really tell much difference with the auto measure on the loader.

Comment

I have the 550B also, but don't use it for any rifle rounds. If you are looking for fair accuracy, the 550B will work good, but I like measuring each round to the 1/10th of a grain, i'm even cranky about my RCBS Chargemaster and certain powders as they can vary a few tenths of a grain.

Comment

Elkbow, you may be wasting your time fretting about getting your powder loads to 1/10th. I have the same problem, and have invested thoudands of dollars in high precision scales and auto tricklers, RCBS Load Master and Neil Jones powder measure. My friend Konrad Powers won the Presidents match this year with loads loaded on a Dillon 550 using the stock powder measure and Reloader 15. The Presidents match is shot 200 yards offhand, 300 yards rapid prone, and 600 yards slow prone and is one of the most prestigious matches in the country. The winner gets a signed letter from President Obama, Yuck. I've measured mine and get +/- .2 grains ES for ten rounds of R15 at 24 grains so over a large population the spread will be even greater.
          Here is a link to Konrads loading methods so you can read for yourself. http://www.sw-hearing.com/konrad/rel..._procedure.htm
          However, I will say for 1000 yards weighing is a necesity.
          Bob
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I use a Chargemaster for most of my reloading, (I still do all the rifle reloading on a single stage) but I'm leaning heavily towards this setup for F Class, any comments would be appreciated.

And no, I'm not good enough yet to justify it, but when I feel that my loads are the limiting factor, its the way I'll go, at least its the best option I've seen so far.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Bill,
              I have the Sartorius 123 scale and the Yellow Omni trickler pictured there, I wouldn't waste my time with that stuff. If you really want the Cat's Meow then get the Promethius Gen II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqNcs-uWzY
              Of course the problem is finding one. A Gen 1 costs about .......$2K and a Gen II can't be bought you have to lease them and the wait line to get one is over 2 years now. I have a friend that has both a Gen I and a Gen II. He does well, but I don't think it will buy you even one point out of 500 over just a good powder measure and a carefully developed load.
              Bob
              Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I use a RL550B for all of my reloading, including the Grendel and have no problems with loading accurate rounds. I have about 15 different sets of dies in toolheads, I load both pistol and rifle with mine. Hopes this helps.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                  Bill,
                  I have the Sartorius 123 scale and the Yellow Omni trickler pictured there, I wouldn't waste my time with that stuff. If you really want the Cat's Meow then get the Promethius Gen II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqNcs-uWzY
                  Of course the problem is finding one. A Gen 1 costs about .......$2K and a Gen II can't be bought you have to lease them and the wait line to get one is over 2 years now. I have a friend that has both a Gen I and a Gen II. He does well, but I don't think it will buy you even one point out of 500 over just a good powder measure and a carefully developed load.
                  Bob
                  Hmmmm....thanks Bob, you saved me a grand or so! I thought the increased accuracy over the Chargemaster would be worth it once I had improved enough to warrant it!

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                    Elkbow, you may be wasting your time fretting about getting your powder loads to 1/10th. I have the same problem, and have invested thoudands of dollars in high precision scales and auto tricklers, RCBS Load Master and Neil Jones powder measure. My friend Konrad Powers won the Presidents match this year with loads loaded on a Dillon 550 using the stock powder measure and Reloader 15. The Presidents match is shot 200 yards offhand, 300 yards rapid prone, and 600 yards slow prone and is one of the most prestigious matches in the country. The winner gets a signed letter from President Obama, Yuck. I've measured mine and get +/- .2 grains ES for ten rounds of R15 at 24 grains so over a large population the spread will be even greater.
                    Here is a link to Konrads loading methods so you can read for yourself. http://www.sw-hearing.com/konrad/rel..._procedure.htm
                    However, I will say for 1000 yards weighing is a necesity.
                    Bob
                    its a matter of personal preference and it relates to powder. As you know, depending on the cartridge, primer, bullet selection and POWDER, a few tenths of a grain can cause serious pressure changes, like when using Lil Gun, that stuff can be cranky, especially as temperatures rise. So my preference, I charge each round with my chargemaster, and I have a routine down, set it to automatic dispense, while i'm seating the bullet of the last round, goes pretty quick, its not like i'm shooting 40,000 rounds a year like I was when I shot pistol competition.

Comment

• vanguard138

Thanks for the information. Guess I will go ahead and get the extra setups.for my 223 and Grendel. Been busy assisting some Vets with claims this week but hope to mount the Dillon to my bench sometime next week. I believe I can use my Redding dies with this.
                      It will take awhile.to trust the powder drop. Being a bit annal retentive I have neen using a Chargemaster although I sure wish they were made in the USA... it will be hard to get away from it.

Comment

You will find the spherical powder usually meters pretty accurately. The more cylindrical it is, and larger cylinders, the less accurate. I load all my dangerous game loads with hand measured, and one step at a time. My accuracy loads are done the same way, but my hunting loads and normal shooting loads are done auto, as I can load up to 400 rounds per hour, depending on the round. I can say that there is usually not a major difference though, with a few exceptions.

Comment

• acelungger

You can load on your 550 depending on how accuarte you want your loads to be? I bought my first Dillon RL450 30 years ago and since then I have bought 2 -RL550's. Dillon powder dumps are great for pistol loads, and depending on your powder type you can get by with plinkly rounds for your Grendel. I use H335 in one of my 550's just for my AR, it is a fine granular powder (sorry guys for the spelling) and I get some decent 223 ammo. But like every one else said, if you want to be dead on, use your single stage!
                          Greg

Comment

• vanguard138

I have been using varget for my 69 gr 223 rounds and h335 with my 123 gr mk. My Grendel seems to like h335. I use TAC for my 123 gr AMAX which I will continue to hand load.
                            I want to try some cor lokt and AR Comp.

Comment

I still use my 550 for my accurate loads, I just don't use the powder measure with it, but individually weigh them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X