Powder Scale - Digital or Beam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Scale - Digital or Beam?

I got a digital scale for Christmas. Can't get the same weight reading between my old beam scale and the new digital. Using a 95g bullets I get about .4-.7g difference. Spent a couple of hours leveling and zeroing and calibrating with no resolution.

So, which one do I keep and which one do I sh*t can?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Digital. Lots of studies have shown them to be more accurate. Are you using the calibrating weights? If not, use them or buy some if you need to. Without calibration, you can't expect them to be accurate.

There is a reason no scientific lab uses balance scales anymore.

Comment

Like bwaites said use the check weights
      heres an odd one to watch for .. Being on the same electrical line as something that switches on and off and draws a lot of power.. Cheap digital alarm clocks/AC units... Seen it make digital scales jump cal..
      Also air movement across the digital scales is something that gives false readings ..

Comment

Yes, the digital scale came with a calibration weight and I even read the directions on how to use it.
        That's all I needed to know, thank you very much.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I got a very inexpensive digital scale about three years ago.

It was a lot more convenient than the beam scale. Bust, t would hold calibration for only a few minutes or a few weighings, whichever was less. It was battery operated so the AC line was not an issue.

Don't have that problem with my beam scale. Plus, I can always use the calibration weight(s) to verify the beam scale.

So, before tossing one of them, look at user comments at Midway and elsewhere. One of the two may have a reputation that will reinforce your decision.

Comment

• acelungger

Not trying to step on anyones toes but, this is one of those subject's that you have to compair with top notch scales! I been using a set of Herters beam scale that for sure are 50 years old and you have to keep the contact points of the beam and base real clean. It takes a pretty good electronic scale to out do it? I own 2 of those Herters, a RCBS 1010 , a Hornady electronic, and then a $1200.00 set of paint scales that belongs to my brother. I think the high end reloading electronic scales plus the electrnic dump scales most likely are a lot better than your beam scale, any of the scales I own will work just fine for pistol rounds and 223 plinking, but when I am loading a rifle round I have 2 choices, my Old Herters or my brothes paint scales.
            I am just posting my 2 cents, I for sure don't claim to be a master at anything, I have been reloading for 38 years and I am learning new stuff every day.
            Take it for what it is, and no offence to anyone!
            Greg

Comment

Digital scales are also sensitive to RF (Radio Frequency) energy. Don't use one near your cellphone, WiFi linked device, Bluetooth linked device, Cordless Phone, PC, etc. If you snap a ferrite choke on the power cord, that can help. Also, Fluorescent lights use high voltage to fire. That high voltage generates fields as well. If I'm sitting near my reloading bench, where I leave the scale running 24/7, and I'm preparing brass using my Dewalt cordless drill, say 3-4 feet away. If I watch the display and key the cordless drill, the less significant digits jumps all over the place. Digital scales are sensitive devices by design. If the manufacturers spent a dollar or two more and shielded them within their plastic cases, or used metal cases, it would probably help reduce stray pickup a lot. I totally love my Lyman 1200 DPS 3. Drop a load while seating the previous one's bullet.

Hoot

Comment

I have a small Franford arsenal digital scale. It came with check weights and is ten times faster than my beam scale. Every now and then I compare the two scales with the check weights. Neither have ever been "off". I only paid 30 bucks for the electronic scale and it works just fine. Only problem is that it runs on batteries. If I buy another one, I'll make sure it has a plug in capability.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Digital. Lots of studies have shown them to be more accurate.
                  Bill you had that good luck with the digital scales? I'm still using the Beam scales (hornady/Pacfic) coupled with a Pacfic and a Lyman 55 measure. Humm maybe I need to look at the digital

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                    I have a small Franford arsenal digital scale. It came with check weights and is ten times faster than my beam scale. Every now and then I compare the two scales with the check weights. NeitheWr have ever been "off". I only paid 30 bucks for the electronic scale and it works just fine. Only problem is that it runs on batteries. If I buy another one, I'll make sure it has a plug in capability.
                    Mine is too, but it does not hold calibration.

Of course I was using it within about a foot from our WiFi router. Didn't do much better at the other end of the house.

Comment

digital is much better, but there is always a possibility that the digital scale is off, depends what model it is, but if you have a calibration weight it should be within .1 grain, does it measure the cal weight correctly after? Also, if you can borrow another digital scale to test.

I have a chargemaster, and also a Pact digital scale, they are dead on with each other

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sgt_murf View Post
                        Bill you had that good luck with the digital scales? I'm still using the Beam scales (hornady/Pacfic) coupled with a Pacfic and a Lyman 55 measure. Humm maybe I need to look at the digital
                        I have a couple, one small battery operated, and the scale with the Chargemaster. I calibrate both, they are usually dead nuts on with each other. I do run the Chargemaster through a line conditioner/power strip, because I have heard that normal voltage variation can affect it, but truthfully, I think I'm being a little paranoid, because I've never seen any problems either way.

Using a single stage, it can almost keep up with me seating the bullets, at least with the Grendel.

Comment

Don't laugh, but I have used a Lee beam scale for a few years now. I just upgraded to a higher cap 500 gr. Model 10-10. I like digital but it is nice to not require batteries or a plug. I use a powder drop and check my loads periodically w/the scale for higher production. I do use the scale for work up loads or to find new recipes.

Comment

I too have a Lyman 1200 DPS3, and I still use my Lee beam scale to periodically check my Lyman charge drops and another digital scale that I have, and they usually all agree and that's all I use my beam scale for any more.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I broke down and got a chargemaster last year, don't know how I ever reloaded without it. I did check it with beam scale a few times and it was right on, now I don't bother. The chargemaster is worth every penny to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X