Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Hole Sizing

Folks,

I have a reasonable stash of AA brass and have been wondering about flash hole sizes. As delivered it's just shy of .059 and won't allow the guide on a lee case gauge or the decapping pin of my lee decapping die through. The tips of the gauge and the pin are about .061. K&M Shooting makes a nice flash hole uniformer that's .062. Anybody use one of these?

I'm not all that worried about case lengths, but I do sorta like making sure they're reasonably close the same length for the sake of consistency and I like using the stand alone decapping die.

I know I could chuck the gauge and pin in a drill press and sand the diameter a bit. Just curious.
  • coastguardchas

didn't have the same problem, but I took a 1/16" drill bit in a hand drill and drilled out all my new AA and Lapua brass flash holes, some were smaller and some larger, but all problems eliminated.. Chas

Comment

Sinclair International make s great tool for this.

Comment

yep I use the Sinclair tool, uniforms all flash holes to .0625"

Comment

The flash hole is the small diameter that it is on purpose. That is one of the features of the PPC origin that helps make it more accurate. I'm at a loss why Lee would make 6.5 Grendel dies and use a standard size decap pin. Redding makes small diameter decap pins specifically for PPC based calibers that works nicely as is on Lapua and AA cases.
          From a practical perspective opening up the flash hole will work and won't have a noticeable effect on accuracy in a gas gun anyway. But that wouldn't be my choice for a way to deal with it. I would rather fix it right using a properly sized decap pin.
          Bob

Comment

from what I have seen in my Lapua brass is the that holes are not uniform, the sinclair tool can be had in two sizes, the smaller one is .0625 which basically just rounds the hole to make it consistent for each piece of brass

Per Sinclair which I agree with:

"This tool is designed to ream small flash holes (.060) to exactly .0625 inch. The handloader addresses two issues when using this tool; 1) It enlarges the holes just enough for the die maker's decapping pins to go through without getting stuck, and 2) Each case will have exactly the same size flash hole insuring uniform ignition. This three piece tool has a stainless steel handle which is knurled for easy turning and a straight fluted .0625 inch reamer. Designed for Lapua PPC, BR, and 6.5x47 Lapua cases with .060 inch flash holes only".
            Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

If you don't like the small hole Hornady brass has a ..)zero seven eight hole.

Comment

Working...
              X