• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

Loading PPU Brass

Hey all- got a couple of hundred once-fired PPU brass casings. Anyone ever reloaded these? I don't have any data for them, as they use large rifle primers as opposed to the small magnums. The headstamp is 6.5 GREN, so these were (I am assuming) factory manufactured and not necked down 7.62x39.

Have read some good stuff about the quality of PPU brass in other calibers, and the price was right (FREE). Any assistance would be appreciated.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

AHHHH they are junk send them to me I dispose of them LOL, jking.
    I have not used the PPU brand (wolf IIRC) midrange loads should be OK without issues and work up. Hopefully some whom has used the PPU will speakup

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Hey all- got a couple of hundred once-fired PPU brass casings. Anyone ever reloaded these? I don't have any data for them, as they use large rifle primers as opposed to the small magnums. The headstamp is 6.5 GREN, so these were (I am assuming) factory manufactured and not necked down 7.62x39.

Have read some good stuff about the quality of PPU brass in other calibers, and the price was right (FREE). Any assistance would be appreciated.
      The loads are essentially unchanged from the Lapua/AA brass, but the PPU brass won't hold up as well. Back off a couple grains from what the recommended load with Lapua/AA brass on AA's website, and work up, but do not go higher than the recommended loads!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

The PPU cases I got from shooting the soft point Wolf 6.5 Grendel have loose primer pockets and I've found where some of the primers came out in the box or during feeding. I believe these Soft points were from the first run and there have been reported problems with that first run of brass. I've shot a few of the later version brass with 120 MPT bullets but haven't loaded very many of this brass. The brass I reloaded I used Wolf 6.5 large rifle primers and the later run of Wolf 6.5 Grendel brass does seem better. When I've reloaded the Wolf brass I loaded about midway between the minimum and max load of powder and if I remember correctly most of them were loaded with TAC and H335.

Comment

• Michael
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

Thanks for the gouge. I'll give these a shot in the next week or so and let you know how it goes.
          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
          - Voltaire

Comment

The PPU bras is Serbian Prvi Partizan, and decent quality at that. I just wish they had made their cases with a small rifle primer, but other than that, it's good brass. I have so much Lapua brass that there is no need for me to mess with any other maker's brass out there, so no issue for me. I just 300pcs of Lapua brass as a gift too.

Comment

I use it ..... not bad. It's not Lapua, but you can get several reloads off of them before they crap out. I too have heard that the earlier brass wasn't "right" ..... but, if the PPU you have is from Wolf MPT then it should work out. All the Wolf I reload is from MPT rounds.

Comment

up to 4-5 reloads on my PPU so far and no issues. Works for me and shoots sub-moa

Comment

• Michael
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

What load are you using with the PPU? I am planning on loading Lapua Scenar 123gr and Win 748 powder. Going by load data, I will probably start out at about 29 gr. Thoughts?
                  - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                  X