Dallas area Grendel Reloaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas area Grendel Reloaders

I have been purchasing factory loads. With the lack of options currently in the market place and sitting on shelves, the obvious solution to stay in supplies of ammunition is to start reloading. Never before have I had any dealings with reloading but am accustomed to measuring chemicals and keeping within tight variables when building rocket motors.

So to get to the piont, is there anyone that is in the Dallas area or close to (Richardson, plano, Garland, Sachse) area that would be willing to show me a typical setup and run through the process of reloading cartridges?

Seeing the process and required equipment needed to complete the reload I figure would be easier to understand than trying to figure it out from online documents. Understanding one will not fully gain all the knowledge needed in one sitting but it sure would help knock the edge off of getting started.

No one in the Dallas area willing to help someone get started????????????

Not asking for secret recipes...... just wanting to know what and what not to purchase and possibly save some money on items that I wouldn't need..lol

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mwilkins View Post
      No one in the Dallas area willing to help someone get started????????????

Not asking for secret recipes...... just wanting to know what and what not to purchase and possibly save some money on items that I wouldn't need..lol
      There are lots of Texas members, but I don't remember anyone posting that they lived in the greater DFW area. But be patient, someone will pipe up eventually.

Comment

Yea, a little impatient right now. I really want to get started but like stated, don't want to run out and start purchasing items that I may not need.

Comment

There are quite a few Texans here, me included. However, I'm in Austin, so that's not much help to you. Someone will eventually pop up that can help.

Mmmm, rocket motors. Brings back fond memories of the rocket-building birthday party we had for my son and the ship we sent up on an Aerotech G as the grand finale rocket. After having played with Estes A-D motors growing up, the G was darned near Saturn V impressive! [/highjack]

Comment

Yea, I progressed beyond the G motors by a few alphabet letters. Most of my stuff was experimental with full fabrication from airframes, fins, motor development all they way through telemetry items. We were punching some pretty good holes in the sky. Here is my last project with fully automated launch pad I built.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

You willing to travel?
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Sure, within a reasonable distance........ I wouldn't mind driving an hour or a bit longer.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mwilkins View Post
                  Yea, I progressed beyond the G motors by a few alphabet letters. Most of my stuff was experimental with full fabrication from airframes, fins, motor development all they way through telemetry items. We were punching some pretty good holes in the sky. Here is my last project with fully automated launch pad I built.

Now that is cool!!

Comment

I'm in Jacksonvile, about 35 miles south of Tyler.

I would not mind but would need some notice and need two or 3 days to clean up my workshop/reloading room.

Comment

jkingrph, Thanks very much for the offer. You are a little over two and a half hours out from me. If nothing a little closer is offered, I might take you up on that. Is there any ranges down that way close to you? If I made a trip down that way, it would be nice to hit a range and make an afternoon out of it.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Now that is cool!!
                        Mega +1000!!!!! That's awesome! What's that? M class?
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                          Mega +1000!!!!! That's awesome! What's that? M class?
                          Mid P. 6" diameter by 48" long. Motor alone was about 45 lbs. Rocket airframe was constructed of Carbon Fiber, Kevlar and Fiberglass. Fins were honeycomb, Fiberglass and Carbon. Nose cone was Fiberglass. Triple redundant electronics for recovery and tracking. Military man rated chute for the booster section and 22' custom Rocketman chute for the upper sections. Rocket was 20'5" in length, 12.5" in diameter and weighed 235lbs loaded on the pad. Depending on motor configuration, max altitude was 30,000 ft +/- a few hundred depending on weather conditions.

I formulated all propellant, measured and mixed all chemicals and cast all fuel grains here at my home. All airframes were hand rolled, vaccum bagged and cured in an oven I built. Fins were constructed in the same manor but used a honeycomb core to keep the weight down. Total build time was a little over 14 months to complete the build of the project. This one was a half scale of the Nike-X missile. I built a quarter scale before this one that flew to over 12K ft before I decided to go bigger.

Here is a pic of the quarter scale

Comment

Here are a couple more.... I will get back on topic after these

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Video?

There MUST be video?
                              Last edited by bwaites; 01-25-2012, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X