X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RangerRick

120 grain SMK range report and my Templar Grendel

Hi all,

Before I get to the range report I figured I should finally upload a picture of my Grendel. It was the first Grendel Bob Reynolds built at Templar Consulting. I've had it 3 years and have put about 3,500 rounds through it and today it produced the sub MOA groups at 300 yards pictured below.

Specs:

20 inch fluted Satern barrel, 1:8.5 twist
    Alexander Arms chrome bolt
    YHM chrome carrier
    Magpul grip and PRS stock
    Daniel Defense rail
    JP adjustable gas block
    WCI brake
    LaRue LT158 SPR-S mount with cantilever and 10 MOA down angle
    Vortex Viper PST glass 6-24x50 Mil dot, first focal plane

I went to the range today to shoot some 120 grain Sierra Match King bullets I had left. I've had good luck with the Hornady 123 AMax, so I haven't shot a lot of these lately. After today I might order another 500.

These two groups were fired at my club's 300 yard range which is actually 315 yards (go figure). Groups are 1.62 inches (0.54 MOA) and 1.29 inches (0.43 MOA).

Conditions were light winds, 58 degrees. The load was 30.4 grains of AA2520 powder with CCI 450 primers. The first group used a C.O.L of 2.25 and the second 2.26 inches.

The 120 SMK is very forgiving of jump. These groups are smaller than I get at 100 yards with the same load. That also seems typical of the Grendel: the bullets settle down after a few hundred yards.

I was using a bipod in front and a bag in the rear off of a bench for these groups.

RR
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2012, 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Nice stick! Those Satern rigs sure do seem to shoot.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
    X