Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Hornady LNL OAL gauge

For those that use this gage, does the regular rifle gage work well with the AR? In other words would you recommend getting the semi auto instead?

fyi

please see pict. I will recommend the straight so you can use it for bolt & ar15. i think we cannot use it in ar10?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2012, 01:29 AM.

Comment

I use mine in my LAR-8. The trick is lining up the thumbscrew so that you can turn if from directly beneath the receiver. It will be in the receiver, but you can get to it.

One thing I did with mine was to throw away the silly plastic rod and use a brass one instead. I picked up a piece of stock at the local hardware store and ground a flat area down one side for the thumbscrew to tighten up against. The plastic one is soft enough for the thrumbscrew to leave a permanent dent in it when you tighten it down. Next time you go to measure close to the dent, it drifts back into it. The brass one doesn't do that.

Hoot

Comment

• vanguard138

Much appreciated.

Comment

• samalama76

I use the straight on all my AR's with good luck, the trick is to position the thumb screw so it doesn't touch your receiver but it can be done with relative ease. In my opinion this tool is indispensable for accurate reloading and good record keeping. The first thing I do when I get a new bullet is take the measurements and write them down, that way you can have a catalog of measurements for all bullets used for each firearm. Also when using the straight one on an AR I have found that it is a must to take multiple measurements and take the average OAL for more accurate results. You probably know all this already I just wanted to put it down for others who may read this thread.

Good Luck!

Comment

I use the straight one and I have found that I get more repeatable measurements when I extended the bullet far out, and then insert the OAL gauge. As the bullet touches the lands, the lands push the bullet back into the case. When the oal gauge is fully seated int he chamber, I lock it down....remove it and measure it using the calipers and a comparator. I consistantly get measurements that are within a few thousands of eachother.

The instructions for OAL say to insert the OAL gauge all the way into the chamber and then push the bullet until it touches the lands. I just can't get consistant readings using that method.

Comment

Working...
            X